• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

Picket myself up an eggplant this morning. I had a plan. This is one of two types I saw. The other was the more common  long thin Asian aubergine (茄子 qié zi), where this more bulbous one is called 墨茄 mò qié, literally dark or black eggplant. It is nearer to black than the bright purple of the former.

moqie.thumb.jpg.aa9d9eb3f24958ebd29ee02205e294fb.jpg

What I had in mind was 肉末茄子 (ròu mò qié zi), or minced pork with eggplant. Not the prettiest dish in the Chinese canon, but a very tasty one.

roumo1.thumb.jpg.9fc9b050e624b79672af20ba01f211ff.jpg

moqie2.thumb.jpg.76a1e42c97ab1a423420e32defbc1897.jpg

Served with rice.

I made it more or less to this recipe from Fuchsia Dunlop, although I reduced the quantities. It's only for me. I do also make a Sichuanese version of it, but having paralysed myself last night with Sichuan peppercorns, decided to go with the eastern China version. I very much enjoy both.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Picket myself up an eggplant this morning. I had a plan. This is one of two types I saw. The other was the more common  long thin Asian aubergine (茄子 qié zi), where this more bulbous one is called 墨茄 mò qié, literally dark or black eggplant. It is nearer to black than the bright purple of the former.

moqie.thumb.jpg.aa9d9eb3f24958ebd29ee02205e294fb.jpg

What I had in mind was 肉末茄子 (ròu mò qié zi), or minced pork with eggplant. Not the prettiest dish in the Chinese canon, but a very tasty one.

roumo1.thumb.jpg.9fc9b050e624b79672af20ba01f211ff.jpg

moqie2.thumb.jpg.76a1e42c97ab1a423420e32defbc1897.jpg

Served with rice.

I made it more or less to this recipe from Fuchsia Dunlop, although I reduced the quantities. It's only for me. I do also make a Sichuanese version of it, but having paralysed myself last night with Sichuan peppercorns, decided to go with the eastern China version. I very much enjoy both.