• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Jim D.

Jim D.

1 hour ago, Tri2Cook said:

Was planning to do Greweling's lemon mint ganache until I saw the condition of the mint available at the local store right now. I have pure peppermint oil so I'm considering pressing on using that instead of the fresh mint. I've seen substitution recommendations saying 1 drop of the oil for 1 tbsp chopped fresh mint but Greweling's quantity is given as "45 leaves". I'm perfectly fine with just adding a drop at a time and tasting but I've never made this ganache before so I'm not sure what I'm aiming for in mint intensity. Anybody done this one that can give me a general idea of how powerful the mint is in the end result?

Greweling calls for leaving the leaves in the ganache, but the flavor still is rather subdued. I add more mint to get a stronger flavor. I think you are correct in adding one drop of oil at a time because it could easily overwhelm the lemon. It's a great ganache that contrasts nicely with the dark chocolate. To call attention to the mint, I usually decorate this with a single drop of white chocolate tinted green with a little green cocoa butter (as in the photo earlier in this thread)--the one occasion I used the lemon peel called for, it became much too dry in a short time. I also leave in some of the lemon zest to pump up the lemon taste.

Jim D.

Jim D.

1 hour ago, Tri2Cook said:

Was planning to do Greweling's lemon mint ganache until I saw the condition of the mint available at the local store right now. I have pure peppermint oil so I'm considering pressing on using that instead of the fresh mint. I've seen substitution recommendations saying 1 drop of the oil for 1 tbsp chopped fresh mint but Greweling's quantity is given as "45 leaves". I'm perfectly fine with just adding a drop at a time and tasting but I've never made this ganache before so I'm not sure what I'm aiming for in mint intensity. Anybody done this one that can give me a general idea of how powerful the mint is in the end result?

Greweling calls for leaving the leaves in the ganache, but the flavor still is rather subdued. I add more mint to get a stronger flavor. I think you are correct in adding one drop of oil at a time because it could easily overwhelm the lemon. It's a great ganache that contrasts nicely with the dark chocolate. To call attention to the mint, I usually decorate this with a single drop of white chocolate tinted green with a little green cocoa butter (as in the photo earlier in this thread)--the one occasion I used the lemon peel called for, it became much too dry in a short time.