Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Experimenting with my Bread Machine


home-cook
 Share

Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, Nancy in Pátzcuaro said:

Well, my experiment was in general positive with a couple of caveats. First, I baked it at too high a temperature for too long, which resulted in a very dark thick crust. Second, I should have made the apricot pieces larger because the 1/4" bits got lost in the dough. On the whole, however, it turned out to be very tasty. I used 1-3/4 c. bread flour, 1/2 c. whole wheat, and 1/2 c. light rye. I also used chopped walnuts in place of the pumpkin seeds. The recipe I was working from had an egg and 3 Tbs. of honey, and the rest was a usual bread recipe. Next time I think I'll make the apricot pieces larger, and maybe use pumpkin seeds instead of walnuts.

 

Having just watched a video on King Arthur, I tried to make the kind of slits they demonstrated, but of course I don't have the proper tool. As a result one end of the loaf sort of blew out.

 

It always amuses me when a cook says, "I loved the recipe, but I decided to use X instead of Y, and I'm allergic to Z and my husband doesn't like K and my daughter won't eat B, so I left them out/substituted for them. But I loved the recipe." Seems to me I'm guilty of that myself.

Nancy, I probably should have said not to cut the apricots too small. Or too large. Probably does take some experimenting. Thanks for trying and sharing!

Deb

Liberty, MO

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...