• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andiesenji

andiesenji

13 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

@andiesenji  thank you for your reply.  Pardon my stupidity, but are your two paragraphs connected on some way?  The first paragraph has me running the machine on empty - but to what end?  I will make sure the paddles are pointing in different directions.

13 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

The second paragraph as a stand alone paragraph makes sense.  I gather that I remove the paddles so they don't leave holes in the bread and then I replace the dough and carry on with the bake cycle.

We salvaged enough of the bread to try some with peanut butter.  The bit that we had was very good.

You want to make sure both paddles are turning before you put anything in there.  If one is not turning or not locking down - I had one with that defect, the shaft was a bit out of round and it wouldn't go all the way down. I had bought it locally, took it back and they gave me another. 

And then you want to make sure the paddles are turning against resistance and not slipping if there is a drag on them.

Yes, put the dough back in and let it continue. You don't need to stop the cycle.  At that point I often take the dough out and either pan it to bake in the oven or do something else with it, like make rolls or cinnamon rolls, etc.

andiesenji

andiesenji

9 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

@andiesenji  thank you for your reply.  Pardon my stupidity, but are your two paragraphs connected on some way?  The first paragraph has me running the machine on empty - but to what end?  I will make sure the paddles are pointing in different directions.

The second paragraph as a stand alone paragraph makes sense.  I gather that I remove the paddles so they don't leave holes in the bread and then I replace the dough and carry on with the bake cycle.

We salvaged enough of the bread to try some with peanut butter.  The bit that we had was very good.

You want to make sure both paddles are turning before you put anything in there.  If one is not turning or not locking down - I had one with that defect, the shaft was a bit out of round and it wouldn't go all the way down. I had bought it locally, took it back and they gave me another. 

Yes, put the dough back in and let it continue. You don't need to stop the cycle.  At that point I often take the dough out and either pan it to bake in the oven or do something else with it, like make rolls or cinnamon rolls, etc.