• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

dtremit

dtremit

26 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The buttermilk available to me (and I had assumed all the buttermilk in US grocery stores) is not a byproduct of butter production.  It is a cultured milk product that used to be called artificial buttermilk.  Like yogurt it can be made with whole milk or reduced fat milk.

Right — most of the buttermilk out there is cultured fresh milk. But traditional buttermilk and cultured low-fat buttermilk are similar enough to be interchangeable, as they have similar fat content. Whole buttermilk (while undeniably much tastier to drink!) could theoretically mess up a sensitive recipe.

The vast majority of what I see here is cultured low-fat buttermilk, but we do have one brand from Maine that claims to be "real" buttermilk:

https://www.kateshomemadebutter.com/Kates-Butter_buttermilk.html

I don't know whether it's actually just the leftovers from the butter churn (I suspect it isn't), but the company's only products are butter and buttermilk. I do know that it tastes better than the other brands!

dtremit

dtremit

12 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The buttermilk available to me (and I had assumed all the buttermilk in US grocery stores) is not a byproduct of butter production.  It is a cultured milk product that used to be called artificial buttermilk.  Like yogurt it can be made with whole milk or reduced fat milk.

Right — most of the buttermilk out there is cultured fresh milk. But traditional buttermilk and cultured low-fat buttermilk are similar enough to be interchangeable, as they have similar fat content. Whole buttermilk (while probably much tastier to drink!) could theoretically mess up a sensitive recipe.

The vast majority of what I see here is cultured low-fat buttermilk, but we do have one brand from Maine that claims to be "real" buttermilk:

https://www.kateshomemadebutter.com/Kates-Butter_buttermilk.html

I don't know whether it's actually just the leftovers from the butter churn (I suspect it isn't), but the company's only products are butter and buttermilk. I do know that it tastes better than the other brands!