• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ElsieD

ElsieD

On 11/22/2020 at 7:39 AM, teonzo said:

Definetely too high, the flour / baking powder ratio should be around 50:1. One of the many reasons why it's better going metric.

Teo

@teonzo   I agree with you that metric is better but imperial measurements is what the recipe is in.  The recipe calls for 3 1/2 cups of flour which as per the King Arthur Baking site is 420 grams.  They list flour as weighing 120 grams per cup.  Using a 50:1 ratio, that means using just over 8 grams of baking powder.  King Arthur says 1 teaspoon of baking powder equals 4 grams so I would use just over 2 teaspoons.  Is that correct?  The recipe, calling for 1/4 cup means it is calling for 12 teaspoons, 6 times as much.  Googling around, I see most scone recipes call for 1 tablespoon of baking powder.  Thank you for your help.

ElsieD

ElsieD

On 11/22/2020 at 7:39 AM, teonzo said:

Definetely too high, the flour / baking powder ratio should be around 50:1. One of the many reasons why it's better going metric.

Teo

I agree with you that metric is better but imperial measurements is what the recipe is in.  The recipe calls for 3 1/2 cups of flour which as per the King Arthur Baking site is 420 grams.  They list flour as weighing 120 grams per cup.  Using a 50:1 ratio, that means using just over 8 grams of baking powder.  King Arthur says 1 teaspoon of baking powder equals 4 grams so I would use just over 2 teaspoons.  Is that correct?  The recipe, calling for 1/4 cup means it is calling for 12 teaspoons, 6 times as much.  Googling around, I see most scone recipes call for 1 tablespoon of baking powder.  Thank you for your help.