• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

JohnT

JohnT

Corrected teaspoon measurement for bicarb.

The only recipe for Crunchies that I have is one from the doyen of South African recipes, Mrs SJA de Villiers. She was THE source for local recipes since the 60's and her book "Cook and Enjoy It" has been re-printed 23 times since 1961.

Now, there is no brown sugar in it, but you can sub some for a portion of the standard sugar - it is up to you!

Please note that the cup measurements are metric ones - I have included them in case that is the way you wish to measure the ingredients.

CRUNCHIES

Ingredients:
750ml (3 cups) desiccated coconut
250ml (1 cup) cake flour (AP flour)
1000ml (4 cups) oats
375ml (1½ cups) sugar
2.5ml (½ t) salt
5ml (1 t) ground cinnamon
250ml (1 cup) butter or margarine
45ml (3 T) golden syrup
10ml (2 t) bicarbonate of soda, dissolved in 60ml (¼ cup) milk

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
  2. Combine all the dry ingredients.
  3. Melt the butter and syrup and add.
  4. Add the dissolved bicarbonate of soda.
  5. Press the mixture into a bracing sheet so that the layer is about 1cm thick.
  6. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
  7. Cut into squares according to the preferred size, lift out and cool.

(The recipe makes about 72 squares.)

Source: Mrs SJA de Villiers

JohnT

JohnT

The only recipe for Crunchies that I have is one from the doyen of South African recipes, Mrs SJA de Villiers. She was THE source for local recipes since the 60's and her book "Cook and Enjoy It" has been re-printed 23 times since 1961.

Now, there is no brown sugar in it, but you can sub some for a portion of the standard sugar - it is up to you!

Please note that the cup measurements are metric ones - I have included them in case that is the way you wish to measure the ingredients.

CRUNCHIES

Ingredients:
750ml (3 cups) desiccated coconut
250ml (1 cup) cake flour (AP flour)
1000ml (4 cups) oats
375ml (1½ cups) sugar
2.5ml (½ t) salt
5ml (1 t) ground cinnamon
250ml (1 cup) butter or margarine
45ml (3 T) golden syrup
10ml (10 t) bicarbonate of soda, dissolved in 60ml (¼ cup) milk

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
  2. Combine all the dry ingredients.
  3. Melt the butter and syrup and add.
  4. Add the dissolved bicarbonate of soda.
  5. Press the mixture into a bracing sheet so that the layer is about 1cm thick.
  6. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
  7. Cut into squares according to the preferred size, lift out and cool.

(The recipe makes about 72 squares.)

Source: Mrs SJA de Villiers