• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Classes - what have I learned

Kerry Beal

On 5/30/2017 at 8:38 PM, Bentley said:

If there is a significant amount of color on the mold (e.g. from airbrushing the whole mold), I let it partially set then scrape it and add it back to the bottle - cuz that stuff is not cheap.   If it's just a little bit (like from splatters and the like), I lay out a sheet of parchment paper and, while the color is still wet, invert the mold and rub it across the parchment paper to clean it.   

I rub the molds across paper towel - if it has set I warm the paper towel either with a heat gun or by laying the paper towels on a warmer like this (only cheap and bought from a thrift store). I don't hit the mold with a heat gun as it wrecks the finish inside the mold.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)