• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

scubadoo97

scubadoo97

On May 8, 2017 at 7:41 PM, DougL said:

I'm determined to read the instructions on rice that I buy in the supermarket. You are determined to tell me those instructions are wrong. I think we're done here.

From my experience I find the 2:1 ratio commonly seen in the instructions for standard white rice in the US does not produce the best outcomes.  

Ive eaten my share of over cooked gummy rice by people that accepted the recipe as non flexible 

1.5:1 or 1:1 works better in my kitchen

Often I don't measure and just put the water up to my first finger joint or lower from the top of the rice. After a while you can just eye it.   On the stove I simmer uncover until the water reaches the top of the rice then cover and reduce the heat to low for 10-15 min.   I have even just shut off the heat when the water reached the rice  and just walked away for 20-30 min. That even worked.   The biggest issue is too much liquid

scubadoo97

scubadoo97

On 5/8/2017 at 7:41 PM, DougL said:

I'm determined to read the instructions on rice that I buy in the supermarket. You are determined to tell me those instructions are wrong. I think we're done here.

From my experience I find the 2:1 ratio commonly seen in the instructions for standard white rice in the US do not produce the best outcomes.  

Ive eaten my share of over cooked gummy rice by people that accepted the recipe as non flexible 

1.5:1 or 1:1 works better in my kitchen

Often I don't measure and just put the water up to my first finger joint or lower from the top of the rice. After a while you can just eye it.   On the stove I simmer uncover until the water reaches the top of the rice then cover and reduce the heat to low for 10-15 min.   I have even just shut off the heat when the water reached the rice  and just walked away for 20-30 min. That even worked.   The biggest issue is too much liquid