• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

lemniscate

lemniscate

I'm doing a 24h cook of several Jimmy Dean sausage chubs that were from the freezer.  I'm doing 145F.  It's about 18h's in so far.   (I pick these chubs up cheap on Amazon Fresh delivery, they've been on super sale for a few weeks and each time I need to round off delivery for "free", I add a few of those and chuck into the freezer.  It was reaching critical mass in there though.)

I did make a mistake though, I had a small bag of char siu pork loin frozen, so I though we'd use that for dinner.   I threw that bag in the water without really thinking it through.  It was in the 145F water for hours and by the time dinner was expected, it was overcooked and stringy.   We made it into an ersatz pulled pork using Girard's Champagne dressing, it was edible, but just barely.  I thought I was using a shortcut, but no.  

lemniscate

lemniscate

I'm doing a 24h cook of several Jimmy Dean sausage chubs that were from the freezer.  I'm doing 145F.  It's about 18h's in so far.   (I pick these chubs up cheap on Amazon Fresh delivery, they've been on super sale for a few weeks and each time I need to round off delivery for "free", I add a few of those and chuck into the freezer.  It was reaching critical mass in there though.)

I did make a mistake though, I had a small bag of char siu pork loin frozen, so I though we'd use that for dinner.   I through that bag in the water without really thinking it through.  It was in the 145F water for hours and by the time dinner was expected, it was overcooked and stringy.   We made it into an ersatz pulled pork using Girard's Champagne dressing, it was edible, but just barely.  I thought I was using a shortcut, but no.