• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Duvel

Duvel

12 hours ago, btbyrd said:

Good lord, people. Don't use a hair dryer on your meat; blot it dry with paper towels. If that's still not dry enough for you, plop it on a rack in the fridge for like 10 minutes. Refrigeration sucks moisture from the air,  so your fridge is a great place to let surface moisture "flash off" (as Dave Arnold refers to the process). The air in your fridge isn't cold enough or conductive enough to really drop the core temp of your meat in that short amount of time, and it gives you a bit of extra insurance against overcooking during the final sear step.

Hair dryers.

Honestly.

I use my hairdryer to light my charcoal grill. I use it to loosen silicon gaskets. I use it to harden the papier-mâché works of my little son a bit faster ... 

I use toothpaste to polish watches. I use the daily newspaper to open beer bottles. I use Old Fashioneds to reduce the amount of ice cubes in my freezer ...

If something works for things it wasn’t originally intended for, is it that bad to make use of it anyway ?

Duvel

Duvel

12 hours ago, btbyrd said:

Good lord, people. Don't use a hair dryer on your meat; blot it dry with paper towels. If that's still not dry enough for you, plop it on a rack in the fridge for like 10 minutes. Refrigeration sucks moisture from the air,  so your fridge is a great place to let surface moisture "flash off" (as Dave Arnold refers to the process). The air in your fridge isn't cold enough or conductive enough to really drop the core temp of your meat in that short amount of time, and it gives you a bit of extra insurance against overcooking during the final sear step.

Hair dryers.

Honestly.

I use my hairdryer to light my charcoal grill. I use it to loosen silicon gaskets. I use it to harden the papier-mâché works of my little son a bit faster ... 

I use toothpaste to polish watches. I use the daily newspaper to open beer bottles. I use Old Fashioneds to reduce the amount of ice cubes in my freezer.

If something works for things it wasn’t originally intended for, is it that bad to make use of it anyway ?