• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

MetsFan5

MetsFan5

Burgers, steak and whole chickens are things my husband likes to cook on the BGE. 

So I’d probably not test them out SV. 

I’m ‘nervous’ about cooking seafood such as shrimp and scallops, although scallops do need a sear. 

I’ve even gotten frustrated with vegetables— I was stupid and had pre- cut zucchini sticks delivered and when I roasted them they turned into a mushy liquid. That really pissed me off. 

What other proteins  can benefit from sv? Ham? Pork chops/ loin, I assume are a given. 

Proteins are the biggest challenge for me in terms of not over cooking and maintaining tenderness. 

Thanks for all the advice. I think I’d probably benefit from a vacuum sealer anyway and I don’t have any appropriate sized container to sv in so if amazon has a deal I’ll look into that. 

MetsFan5

MetsFan5

Burgers, steak and whole chickens are things my husband likes to cook on the BGE. 

So I’d probably not test them out SV. 

I’m ‘nervous’ about ocee cooking seafood such as shrimp and scallops, although scallops do need a sear. 

I’ve even gotten frustrated with vegetables— I was stupid and had pre- cut zucchini sticks delivered and when I roasted them they turned into a mushy liquid. That really pissed me off. 

What other proteins  can benefit from sv? Ham? Pork chops/ loin, I assume are a given. 

Proteins are the biggest challenge for me in terms of not over cooking and maintaining tenderness. 

Thanks for all the advice. I think I’d probably benefit from a vacuum sealer anyway and I don’t have any appropriate sized container to sv in so if amazon has a deal I’ll look into that.