• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

boilsover

boilsover

6 hours ago, weedy said:

It’s argued, not “debunked”... re induction

Well, if DOE and the folks who've  measured the actual efficiency change their minds, I'm all ears.

6 hours ago, weedy said:

Who says the luddite is well schooled but the modernist is not?

that tends to be the opposite. 

Not in my experience.  Luddites come in critical and unthinking flavors.  But considering the huge ## of circulators going into the aspirational market/wired set right now, I wouldn't bet on a high % of them being "well-schooled".  $600 in bookshelf candy (and a tub of meat glue) does not make a cook "Modernist".

6 hours ago, weedy said:

It’s one thing to prefer a steak cooked with a gradient.

Thing is, if it's subjected to any external heat at all after it towels off from the bath (assuming it was bathed to equilibrium in the first place), it's got a gradient and isn't completely "consistent".  We can quibble over how to best minimize that gradient, but it's there, guaranteed.  Whether it's finished under the SV Everything guys' flamethrower or in a Bessemer oven.

6 hours ago, weedy said:

Otoh, anyone who dismisses the preference for the result cooked SV as “fanboy” ( also sexist by the way) Or “fashionista” is just being foolish. 

Oh, please.  'Luddite' is what, a laudatory term?  In all honesty, there are plenty of fanboys (and -girls and -fluid) who buy these sub-$100 things simply because it's fashionable or believed to be a shortcut to becoming an accomplished cook.  To pretend otherwise is indeed foolish.

I really don't have a dog in this fight.  If SV--or Sue Veed--improves my cooking, I'm all for it.  But it better make sense, and be a qualitative improvement.  Otherwise it's just fashion, gear worship and funiculation.  What I'm finding is that the avenue of improvement is a lot narrower than the hype.  If this is unsurprising to some, shame on me, the slow learner.

Where do you (or anyone else) consider that SV gives you the most bang for the buck/hour spent?  Please don't say green vegetables...

Thanks.

boilsover

boilsover

6 hours ago, weedy said:

Well, if DOE and the folks who've  measured the actual efficiency change their minds, I'm all ears.

6 hours ago, weedy said:

Not in my experience.  Luddites come in critical and unthinking flavors.  But considering the huge ## of circulators going into the mass market/wired set right now, I wouldn't bet on a high % of them being "well-schooled".  $600 in bookshelf candy (and a tub of meat glue) does not make a cook "Modernist".

6 hours ago, weedy said:

Thing is, if it's subjected to any external heat at all after it towels off from the bath (assuming it was bathed to equilibrium in the first place), it's got a gradient and isn't completely "consistent".  We can quibble over how to best minimize that gradient, but it's there, guaranteed.  Whether it's finished under the SV Everything guys' flamethrower or in a Bessemer oven.

6 hours ago, weedy said:

Otoh, anyone who dismisses the preference for the result cooked SV as “fanboy” ( also sexist by the way) Or “fashionista” is just being foolish. 

Oh, please.  'Luddite' is what, a laudatory term?  In all honesty, there are plenty of fanboys (and -girls and -fluid) who buy these sub-$100 things simply because it's fashionable or believed to be a shortcut to becoming an accomplished cook.  To pretend otherwise is indeed foolish.

I really don't have a dog in this fight.  If SV--or Sue Veed--improves my cooking, I'm all for it.  But it better make sense, and be a qualitative improvement.  Otherwise it's just fashion, gear worship and funiculation.  What I'm finding is that the avenue of improvement is a lot narrower than the hype.  If this is unsurprising to some, shame on me, the slow learner.

Where do you (or anyone else) consider that SV gives you the most bang for the buck/hour spent?  Please don't say green vegetables...

Thanks.

boilsover

boilsover

5 hours ago, weedy said:

5 hours ago, weedy said:

Not in my experience.  Luddites come in critical and unthinking flavors.  But considering the huge ## of circulators going into the mass market/wired set right now, I wouldn't bet on a high % of them being "well-schooled".  $600 in bookshelf candy (and a tub of meat glue) does not make a cook "Modernist".

5 hours ago, weedy said:

5 hours ago, weedy said:

I really don't have a dog in this fight.  If SV--or Sue Veed--improves my cooking, I'm all for it.  But it better make sense, and be a qualitative improvement.  Otherwise it's just fashion, gear worship and funiculation.  What I'm finding is that the avenue of improvement is a lot narrower than the hype.  If this is unsurprising to some, shame on me.

Where do you (and everyone else) consider that SV gives you the most bang for the buck?  Please don't say green vegetables...

Thanks.

boilsover

boilsover

5 hours ago, weedy said:

5 hours ago, weedy said:

5 hours ago, weedy said:

5 hours ago, weedy said:

I really don't have a dog in this fight.  If SV--or Sue Veed--improves my cooking, I'm all for it.  But it better make sense, and be a qualitative improvement.  Otherwise it's just fashion and gear worship.  What I'm finding is that the avenue of improvement is a lot narrower than the hype.

Where do you (and everyone else) consider that SV gives you the most bang for the buck?  Please don't say green vegetables...

Thanks.

boilsover

boilsover

5 hours ago, weedy said:

5 hours ago, weedy said:

5 hours ago, weedy said:

5 hours ago, weedy said:

I really don't have a dog in this fight.  If SV--or Sue Veed--improves my cooking, I'm all for it.  But it better make sense, and be a qualitative improvement.  Otherwise it's just fashion and gear worship.  What I'm finding is that the avenue of improvement is a lot narrower than the hype.

Where do you (and everyone else) consider that SV gives you the most bang for the buck?

Thanks.