Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

St.Patrick and his Corned Beef


Recommended Posts

Found Ruhlman recipe in 3/8 NYT so here's my first ever CB brine w/allspice, mustard seed, coriander, bay, cinnamon, clove, peppercorns.  Found a butcher who measured out exactly the amount of pink salt needed for this 4.5lb point.  After reading this thread I guess I should cut the butcher string and unroll the sucker, no?

 

 

IMG_20170313_153702145~2.jpg

  • Like 5

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Link to post
Share on other sites

SV I feel turns out the best item.   but it takes time , which is unattended

 

w something so rare  as a Venison Roast , it has to be SV.

 

I just checked High and Low , and I don't have any 

 

once set up , if you have room , consider adding the beef.   I cut mine up into ~ 1 lbs hunks.

 

hungry now ?   iP the beef .  SV the Venison for later. 

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shelby said:

Sigh.  I can't decide how to make our corned beef.  In the IP?  Sous Vide?  Slow cooker?  Every single method looks so good.  I have a corned venison roast and a store bought beef one.

The nice thing about using a slow cooker/Crock Pot is that your home smells like corned beef (most of) the day.:x

Yes, that's a good thing.

  • Like 7

 

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

 

Tim Oliver

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Shelby said:

Sigh.  I can't decide how to make our corned beef.  In the IP?  Sous Vide?  Slow cooker?  Every single method looks so good.  I have a corned venison roast and a store bought beef one.


You can join me in the land of overkill. I'm doing a lean cut sous vide for sandwiches and a fattier cut either in the slow cooker or stove top. Both will be cooked this weekend so, while not even coming close to rotuts' corned beef insanity, there will be definite corned beef overload happening.

  • Like 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Link to post
Share on other sites

today was a Bad Weather Day and the night is still Pending.

 

My CB is really good , point cut , 143  x 24 hrs +

 

but not as perfect as it might be.  

 

as it was a snow day , I took out a pack from the refrigerator and put it in the Anova ReHeater at 145.  it was there for say 4 hours while

 

I decided about the SnowIssues.  

 

the veg were iP'd  4 min LP 5 minute release  w the cabbage above the liquid.

 

58c872956a6be_CBVeg.thumb.jpg.2126fca13d2d1558146504af16dd12a5.jpg

 

the carrots were perfect and the potatoes were a tiny bit over done , but still very good.  better that than underdone w a bit of a crunch

 

the cabbage was the best Ive done in the iP so far :  some resistance but not too much

 

here is the plate :

 

CBD.thumb.jpg.5a7756962a17a101b906e7e063a61aa2.jpg

 

the CB was perfect !   so if your CB  ( in bulk ! ) is a tiny bit underdone , it can be fixed in the Anova ReHeater for several hours at a degree or two more

 

than original.

 

it will still slice up thin as is for a good sandwich  as I had it the other night for dinner w/o the additional time and 2 degrees more F and it was

 

very good then.

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, rotuts said:

today was a Bad Weather Day and the night is still Pending.

 

My CB is really good , point cut , 143  x 24 hrs +

 

but not as perfect as it might be.  

 

as it was a snow day , I took out a pack from the refrigerator and put it in the Anova ReHeater at 145.  it was there for say 4 hours while

 

I decided about the SnowIssues.  

 

the veg were iP'd  4 min LP 5 minute release  w the cabbage above the liquid.

 

58c872956a6be_CBVeg.thumb.jpg.2126fca13d2d1558146504af16dd12a5.jpg

 

the carrots were perfect and the potatoes were a tiny bit over done , but still very good.  better that than underdone w a bit of a crunch

 

the cabbage was the best Ive done in the iP so far :  some resistance but not too much

 

here is the plate :

 

CBD.thumb.jpg.5a7756962a17a101b906e7e063a61aa2.jpg

 

the CB was perfect !   so if your CB  ( in bulk ! ) is a tiny bit underdone , it can be fixed in the Anova ReHeater for several hours at a degree or two more

 

than original.

 

it will still slice up thin as is for a good sandwich  as I had it the other night for dinner w/o the additional time and 2 degrees more F and it was

 

very good then.

 

 

 

That looks delicious!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I ended up not desalting it.    there is some jus in the bag after 24 + @ 143 F  and Ive been using and saving that for use in the iPot

 

for the cooking of the veg.  I add water to this to just get the potatoes and carrots submerged.

 

Ive also after adding some water in the iPot added bay leaf , mustard seed , and granulated ( penzey's ) garlic and 

 

iP'd this for 2 - 3 min at LP then 5 minute release , and then removing the bay leaf and then adding the veg w the cabbage on top of the other

 

two veg.    I then save this liquid , chill and use again w the addition of what ever liquid is in the next CB's bag , about 1/4 cup , not measured

 

chose not to study desalting this year as the first attempts gave me CB didn't seem to me to have too much salt in it.

 

the meat was so nicely trimmed and the papain didn't seem to matter if I cooked the meat with in a day or two of buying it

 

a few years ago  the meat sat in the refrig for a while and then I cooked it , well before the ' Use By Date '

 

that gave me mushy CB.   I can't say if the extra time in my refrigerator had anything to do with the mushiness.  my refrigerator is quite cold.

 

I will say that times in the iPot for pressure cooking these three veg at the same time is problematic and not very reproducible 

 

either with LP or HP or a certain amount of time before release.   I can tell Ive been lucky so far re Veg.

 

what i did learn today is important to me :

 

if the CB is not perfectly cooked at Round One  ( this brand point cut  , about 1 lb / bag , 143 F  24 - 26 hours )

 

it can be corrected to perfection w a longer than needed re-heating  ( one bag at a time for dinner ) at about 145

 

for 4 hours or so.

 

I have three points to do tomorrow and Ill do them at 145 F  24 - 26 and label them as such.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think i will try 1 hour soak in cold water before bagging in the SV. I bought two of this brand and plan to slice one for reubens and the other PC to chop and shred into hulushki. You think 24h at 143F was good for thin slicing? I think a few years ago i did some testing and for some reason 16h at 145F was the magic number. I need to start writing this stuff down.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Im happy with the points @ 24 H 143 F  for thin slicing.    Id say 145 F and 24 h + for just right fork tenderness, i.e. traditional hot CB and cabbage.

 

thin slicing for sandwiches seems to work better w a little less cooking.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've only done store-bought SV CB a couple of times, but both times I added a bit of water to the bag so that it could desalinate while it cooks. The reason that commercial CB is so salty isn't that it's necessary from a preservation standpoint... it's not dry-cured, and it's not like you can store it without refrigeration. Rather, it's because they assume you'll be boiling it for hours on end. When I make my own CB, the initial salt level is much lower and it can go straight into the bag without any soaking or added water.

 

Keeping my fingers crossed for Kenji or Chefsteps (or some other competent spirit) to run a bunch of tests on how to get the most out of supermarket corned beef. Kenji does cover this topic in this older post on corned beef, but the lowest temp he tested was 160F, with 10 hours @ 180F being his preferred time/temp combo. It'd be interesting to see a side-by-side texture comparison that included 48 hours at 140F or 72 hours at 130F. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought of putting an ice cube or two in the bag and then sealing and trying that.

 

but I just wanted to get the project done.   I have two CB's in the refrig, and i might try that.

 

no way Im going to the store for days due to ice.   on the car and the driveway.

 

the CB shrinks too much > 145 Id say.   48 at 140 might be interesting.

 

Point is going to cook differently than flat , having much more intramuscular connective tissue.  which is tasty when turned into

 

gelatin

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, btbyrd said:

I've only done store-bought SV CB a couple of times, but both times I added a bit of water to the bag so that it could desalinate while it cooks. The reason that commercial CB is so salty isn't that it's necessary from a preservation standpoint... it's not dry-cured, and it's not like you can store it without refrigeration. Rather, it's because they assume you'll be boiling it for hours on end. When I make my own CB, the initial salt level is much lower and it can go straight into the bag without any soaking or added water.

 

Keeping my fingers crossed for Kenji or Chefsteps (or some other competent spirit) to run a bunch of tests on how to get the most out of supermarket corned beef. Kenji does cover this topic in this older post on corned beef, but the lowest temp he tested was 160F, with 10 hours @ 180F being his preferred time/temp combo. It'd be interesting to see a side-by-side texture comparison that included 48 hours at 140F or 72 hours at 130F. 

 

For store bought CB, I look at the sodium count on the label.  Brands do vary a lot.   I desalinate overnight in copious amounts of water and up to 24hrs or more and there still no lack of salt in the finished product.  I usually end up smoking them but cooked SV there will not be much further leaching of salt if at all in the cooking method 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I have pulled my bottom round out of the SV after 42 hours at 145. I was not going to leave it that long, but I forgot and went on to bed last night. It's in the fridge, waiting for Friday; I have to leave early tomorrow for a two-day stint with a client, will be back in time to boil some potatoes, carrots and cabbage in the jus from the bag.

 

  • Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a question about Napa cabbage.   I have one in this fridge with just a bit of his head cut off which I used in something else.  My usual cabbage for my corned beef dinner is Savoy.  I would like to use the Napa up.  If I use it in place of the Savoy what should the cooking time be relative to the potatoes and carrots?  Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2017 at 6:59 AM, btbyrd said:

Keeping my fingers crossed for Kenji or Chefsteps (or some other competent spirit) to run a bunch of tests on how to get the most out of supermarket corned beef.

 

RE: ChefSteps, I just noticed that the Joule app has a visual doneness for corned brisket, but their temps are still in the high range. Their preferred time/temp combo remains 60C for 48hrs, but they also include 70C for 24hrs and 16hours as well as 80C for 8.

 

I've got two in the bath right now going at 60C for 48 hours.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2017 at 1:46 PM, ElsieD said:

I have a question about Napa cabbage.   I have one in this fridge with just a bit of his head cut off which I used in something else.  My usual cabbage for my corned beef dinner is Savoy.  I would like to use the Napa up.  If I use it in place of the Savoy what should the cooking time be relative to the potatoes and carrots?  Thanks!

 

It doesn't hold up as traditional types do, but it doesn't fall apart.  We did that one year and loved it so much we did it 4yrs in a row. Lovely flavor.  Don't worry about the time - do it as you would normally

  • Like 1

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Link to post
Share on other sites

Kept my fingers crossed that the replacement heating element for my oven that died earlier in the week would arrive before the weekend. It didn't. So the corned beef that wasn't going in the sous vide tank that I hoped to toss in a low oven with cabbage, potatoes and carrots is indeed going to have to be done stove top or slow cooker. At this point, I'd consider just doing it all sous vide but I won't be able to get it in the tank in time to do a 48 hr cook before Sunday dinner... and I was really hoping for it to be Saturday dinner. The lean stuff will be going in a 55C tank tonight for 12 hrs or so and I'll pilfer the juices from the bags for cooking the other stuff if I end up doing it stove top.

  • Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...