• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

On 03/02/2017 at 3:46 PM, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I don't measure my salt for pasta water, and it always seems to come out fine, but I always add table salt. A more expensive salt seems a great waste in this application to me. I probably pour about 1/4 cup into a gallon of boiling water and give it a good stir before adding the pasta so the salt won't pit my stainless over time.

Even your revered Oxford Dictionary's definition concedes that America is "used as" name for the United States. The wording makes it seem a grudging acknowledgement, but they do make it. The Oxford definition of American even lists as the first meaning: "Relating to or characteristic of the United States or its inhabitants: ‘the election of a new American president’ "

When people refer to Americans or especially "the Ugly American" they never mean Canadians or Ecuadorians. They are talking about people from here in the U.S. I believe, even English people use it that way. Mexicans and South Americans want to immigrate here to chase the "American dream". In fact, from what I read, the term was actually started by the English by referring to my home country as their "British American Colonies" including in legal documents. America and Americans for short.

It's an expression, like many others that evolves over time, and the origins can sometimes become obscured. I know some resent it. You seem to, and in the research I just pulled up, there was quite the rant from a South American. Sorry, but widespread usage has become ingrained, and a minority of people unhappy with it are not going to change it. We and everyone else are aware we are not the entirety of the North and South American continents, and when most people want to refer to those they say, "the Americas". If you need someone to blame for this common usage, please blame the British. And maybe we can lay this particular quibble to rest? :)

Calm down! It was just a tease.

But that said, the OED does not say that American means USA.

American, a. and n.

(əˈmɛrɪkən)

A.A adj.

1. a.A.1.a Belonging to the continent of America. Also, of or pertaining to its inhabitants.

liuzhou

liuzhou

27 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I don't measure my salt for pasta water, and it always seems to come out fine, but I always add table salt. A more expensive salt seems a great waste in this application to me. I probably pour about 1/4 cup into a gallon of boiling water and give it a good stir before adding the pasta so the salt won't pit my stainless over time.

Even your revered Oxford Dictionary's definition concedes that America is "used as" name for the United States. The wording makes it seem a grudging acknowledgement, but they do make it. The Oxford definition of American even lists as the first meaning: "Relating to or characteristic of the United States or its inhabitants: ‘the election of a new American president’ "

When people refer to Americans or especially "the Ugly American" they never mean Canadians or Ecuadorians. They are talking about people from here in the U.S. I believe, even English people use it that way. Mexicans and South Americans want to immigrate here to chase the "American dream". In fact, from what I read, the term was actually started by the English by referring to my home country as their "British American Colonies" including in legal documents. America and Americans for short.

It's an expression, like many others that evolves over time, and the origins can sometimes become obscured. I know some resent it. You seem to, and in the research I just pulled up, there was quite the rant from a South American. Sorry, but widespread usage has become ingrained, and a minority of people unhappy with it are not going to change it. We and everyone else are aware we are not the entirety of the North and South American continents, and when most people want to refer to those they say, "the Americas". If you need someone to blame for this common usage, please blame the British. And maybe we can lay this particular quibble to rest? :)

It was a tease.

But that said, the OED does not say that American means USA.

American, a. and n.

(əˈmɛrɪkən)

A.A adj.

1. a.A.1.a Belonging to the continent of America. Also, of or pertaining to its inhabitants.

liuzhou

liuzhou

23 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

It was a tease.

But that said, the OED does not say that America means USA.

American, a. and n.

(əˈmɛrɪkən)

A.A adj.