• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

I used to do this New Years Day meal for fun and in remembrance of my Southern mom. Lately I have been doing it a little out of superstition. Three years ago we had what Cassie said was a traditional Mexican New Years dinner.  We had none of the Southern food that was representative of good luck and health in the year to come. The very next day, I fell and broke every bone in my ankle. 

Charlie is not a fan of black eyed peas with ham so I made my sister's chip dip with them instead. He like the dip.  The ham hocks were cooked with canary or  Mayocoba beans.  We had collard greens, deviled eggs, corn bread, green beans with new potatoes,  and pumpkin pie.

20170101_131446.jpg

20170101_131820.jpg

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

I used to do this New Years Day meal for fun and in remembrance of my Southern mom. Lately I have been doing it a little out of superstition. Three years ago we had what Cassie said was a traditional Mexican New Years dinner.  We had none of the Southern food that was representative of good luck and health in the year to come. The very next day, I fell and broke every bone in my ankle. 

Charlie is not a fan of black eyed peas with ham so I made my sister's chip dip with them instead. He like the dip.  The ham hocks were cooked with canary or  Mayocoba beans.  We had collard greens, corn bread, green beans with new potatoes,  and pumpkin pie.

20170101_131446.jpg

20170101_131820.jpg