• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recipe "Disaster!"

weinoo

This is a great thread.  I've been there many times with a recipe.  I've even gotten rid of cookbooks that seemed to have a different food profile that I like.  One was a cookbook of recipes off of cans, bottles, boxes, ect.  We were using it as a base for a group to make the same recipes and then comment on them.  After the third one being something I didn't like at all, I dropped out of the group and got rid of the cookbook.  

Yeah, raisins are one of the ingredients in picadillo, along with green olives, slivered almonds, fruit (generally banana but also apple), cinnamon, piloncillo (raw sugar), etc. Pork is more common than beef. I think it would make a very tasty tamale pie, though very unlike the Tex-Mex style we're used to.

Picadillo appears most often in chiles en nogada, the Mexican national dish that is served in the fall to celebrate Independencia. Coincidentally, the ingredients mimic the colors of the Mexican flag--green poblano chiles, white walnut sauce, and red pomegranate seeds, and it appears on menus when fresh walnuts and pomegranates are available. I think there are as many recipes for picadillo as there are cooks.

All this talk about tamale pie means that now I'll have to make it with picadillo, which I like very  much. I guess I know what we'll have for dinner tomorrow! I'll let you know how it went, though I'm sure we'll like it.

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

• Like 4

Formerly "Nancy in CO"