• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

quiet1

quiet1

13 hours ago, FlashJack said:

It's a sign.

Damnit, I was trying to limit myself to the big paella. Now you have me thinking.

To all: I have the largest and the smallest fry pans. I use the big one all the time and would like a bigger one which is why the paella 35 appeals. How useful if the smallest paella? What do you use it for?

We have the smallest frying pan because Cute and we only use it in the RV really - it’s a good size to put on one bit of the grill to sauté a few onions or keep things warm, or to do just a couple of eggs for the dog’s dinner if we’re having something he can’t have, like spicy chicken. The only reason we’re thinking of a couple little baby paellas is my SO loooooves Raclette and melting it over some potatoes in a pan in the oven is quicker for doing multiple people than using a mini table Raclette grill, plus means we don’t have the single-use Raclette grill taking up storage space. (Sometimes with Raclette sitting around cooking it slowly is a big part of the fun, but sometimes you just want fast comfort food for everyone, y’know?) I imagine we’d use them for other individual-ish-portion things also if we had them, like maybe a pot pie, or making a single meal sized fruit crumble? So they’d be more useful than the Raclette grill and take up less space. :) But for normal cooking without RV/camping related issues, I think they’d often be too small?

ETA: We do have a larger paella pan (I forget what size) at home and honestly it’s one of my most used pans. I don’t usually toss stuff by the pan handle due to arthritis so I tend to reach for the paella pan over the similarly sized frying pan because the handles don’t get in the way of the other burners, etc. 

quiet1

quiet1

12 hours ago, FlashJack said:

It's a sign.

Damnit, I was trying to limit myself to the big paella. Now you have me thinking.

To all: I have the largest and the smallest fry pans. I use the big one all the time and would like a bigger one which is why the paella 35 appeals. How useful if the smallest paella? What do you use it for?

We have the smallest frying pan because Cute and we only use it in the RV really - it’s a good size to put on one bit of the grill to sauté a few onions or keep things warm, or to do just a couple of eggs for the dog’s dinner if we’re having something he can’t have, like spicy chicken. The only reason we’re thinking of a couple little baby paellas is my SO loooooves Raclette and melting it over some potatoes in a pan in the oven is quicker for doing multiple people than using a mini table Raclette grill, plus means we don’t have the single-use Raclette grill taking up storage space. (Sometimes with Raclette sitting around cooking it slowly is a big part of the fun, but sometimes you just want fast comfort food for everyone, y’know?) I imagine we’d use them for other individual-ish-portion things also if we had them, like maybe a pot pie, or making a single meal sized fruit crumble? So they’d be more useful than the Raclette grill and take up less space. :) But for normal cooking without RV/camping related issues, I think they’d often be too small?