• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

gfweb

gfweb

11 hours ago, kayb said:

Lines like that are why some people write for the NYT and people like me work for 20 years in small-town dailies. Damn, I do admire someone who wields words like that!

I think you are much better than that writing... from what I've read from you.   I think that the piece is somewhat "over-written". Whenever writing style is so (painfully) obvious I think it is likely overdone. You don't know John Updyke is great instantly...it grows on you.

gfweb

gfweb

11 hours ago, kayb said:

Lines like that are why some people write for the NYT and people like me work for 20 years in small-town dailies. Damn, I do admire someone who wields words like that!

I think you are much better than that writing... from what I've read from you.   I think that the piece is somewhat "over-written". Whenever writing style is so (painfully) obvious I think it is likely overdone. You don't know John Updyke was great instantly...it grows on you.