• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Murgh Massalam Recipe

Archana

I have a huge, organic chicken in the freezer crying out to be cooked. I've always wanted to try making Murgh Massalam [sp?] but can't seem to find any decent recipes.

Can any of you enlighten me, the simpler the better.

Soak some saffron strands in 1 tablespoon hot water.

Take half a teaspoon each: ground black pepper, ground turmeric, ground cumin, chili powder

Take quarter of a teaspoon each: ground cardamom, cloves,cinnamon and mace.

Mix together-the saffron and soaking water,all the ground spices, two cloves of crushed garlic, teaspoon salt, two tablespoons yogurt.

Rub a tablespoon of the mixture inside the chicken cavity and rub some of the mixture all over the chicken.

Leave to marinate for at least one hour.

Heat ghee/oil and fry two sliced onions until golden. Remove onions and brown chicken on all sides.

Return onions to pan and stir in remaining marinade plus one and a half cups chicken stock or water.

Bring to boil then turn very low,cover and cook for 45 mins or until chicken is very tender. Turn chicken from time to time and baste with liquid. You could do this part in the oven if you wish but the important point is that the liquid should evaporate almost completely leaving just what is clinging to the chicken.

Serve hot.

• 1 month later...