• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How do you say "Otto"

Fat Guy

I suppose using foreign words for names of restaurants has been shown to be successful as a marketing gimmick.  More power to 'em.  No such thing as bad publicity, as they say.

would you consider the naming of montrachet, le cirque, lespinasse, chanterelle, cafe des artistes, et al, marketing gimmicks?

Not according to both of my Italian dictionaries.

From the bigger dictionary:

From English to Italian:

pig n. (zool.) porco, maiale, suino

from Italian to English:

por-co m. pig, swine; pork; boar

maial-e m. pig, swine; pork

Also called Dominic (of DiFara fame) - who said porco, porci, and confirmed pronunciation of same.

I'd be interested to know what the difference is between porco and maiale when used by Italians. I'll check it out.

Edited by La Niña (log)

I am sure that no restaurant names itself without consideration for marketing.

"marketing gimmick" is a rather loaded phrase, and is probably not, to most people, read the same as "consideration for marketing."

I might be inclined to believe that all marketing efforts are "gimmicks," in fact.

Maiale is the word people who live in Italy use to refer to the animal that we call a "pig".

Porco is the word they use to refer to the piece of meat on their plate that came from the pig.

If you say it three times, it will be true.

:wink:

Dominic tells me that maiale is more commonly used by northern Italians, and porco is more commonly used by southern Italians (referring to the animal). He also said that everybody would use porco, but southern Italians would not be inclined to use maiale.

Edited by La Niña (log)

I just checked three dictionaries.  One has it Ron's way, one has the complete reverse, and one says both mean pig.

Glad to feel we're making progress here.   :laugh:

i have friends who live in Nutley, NJ. that's a big i-talian town. i'll ask them. they'll know.

Ah - but would we then be talking about American-Italian, or Italian-Italian?

Dominic was born and raised in Italy, and came here in his 20's. His parents (who are dead now) never left Italy, and he spent a month every summer in Italy until fairly recently. His brother still lives in the same town. So I'd venture to say that his Italian is Italian-Italian.

And then of course there are regional differences, colloquial differences, class differences, educational differences, age differences - all of which affect this stuff.

Edited by La Niña (log)