• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

cakewalk

cakewalk

Oops.

Interesting. Babette Friedman's Apple Cake is a classic Rosh Hashana recipe, although I do not know if that was the original intention of Babette Friedman! I made it once, many years ago, and I remember that it was very good. But I'm also pretty sure that the recipe above is NOT the recipe I made! I know I used oil rather than butter (it had to be pareve), I'm sure there was no Calvados in it, etc. I don't know if the recipe I used was already altered from the original or if I just made my own changes as I went along. I know I have a printout of the recipe somewhere, I'll see if I can find it. (These days I make Marcy Goldman's Majestic and Moist Honey Cake, which also goes through a lot of changes on the web, but I use her original recipe always, and it is perfect.)

Oops. I just realized it wasn't the Babette Friedman cake I made, it was this recipe from Smitten Kitchen: https://smittenkitchen.com/2008/09/moms-apple-cake/ I remember now I was looking at apple cake recipes and the Babette Friedman recipe was all over the place, but I liked the looks of the Smitten Kitchen one better. (I guess I made the right choice.) But the name Babette Friedman really stuck in my mind!

cakewalk

cakewalk

Interesting. Babette Friedman's Apple Cake is a classic Rosh Hashana recipe, although I do not know if that was the original intention of Babette Friedman! I made it once, many years ago, and I remember that it was very good. But I'm also pretty sure that the recipe above is NOT the recipe I made! I know I used oil rather than butter (it had to be pareve), I'm sure there was no Calvados in it, etc. I don't know if the recipe I used was already altered from the original or if I just made my own changes as I went along. I know I have a printout of the recipe somewhere, I'll see if I can find it. (These days I make Marcy Goldman's Majestic and Moist Honey Cake, which also goes through a lot of changes on the web, but I use her original recipe always, and it is perfect.)