• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

to describe mustard seeds

I tried the recipe for Crispy Brussels Sprouts with Pickled Mustard Seeds.  The combination of flavors is delicious.  The cooking instructions are for the birds.  The recipe can be found here.

We are instructed to preheat the broiler (no temperature specified) and place the oven rack as close to the heat source as possible.  The sprouts are to be halved, tossed with olive oil, S&P and placed into the broiler for 6 minutes (we are reminded to set a timer), stirred about and returned for 6 more minutes.  At that point, we add the pickled mustard seeds and give them.  Now, I knew full well this protocol would result in cinders but the author was so precise about it that I figured I'd give it a try.  

Here are my sprouts, 30 seconds into the first broiler session:

IMG_4309.jpg

I pulled off the leaves that were really incinerated, dropped the temp, lowered the rack, gave them 4 minutes, flipped them over for 2 more minutes and added the mustard seeds:

IMG_4310.jpg

After discarding the outer leaves, the rest were quite good, aside from the bigger ones being still a bit hard in the middle.   

I can and will do a better job of cooking these in the CSO but I figured I'd give the carefully detailed protocol a try.  Sheesh!

Edited to add that the mustard seeds are nice.  The recipe uses much more sugar than any others I've seen so it makes for a fairly sweet condiment that will limit its usefulness for me.  Though it was very nice in this dish and I can imagine other things that might work but, for example, I thought they might be a nice garnish for deviled eggs - no.  I tried and they are way too sweet.  The cooking time was a bit off as well, taking well over an hour to thicken, compared to the 25-35 minutes stated in the recipe.  I used a rather low simmer and am sure that cranking it up would cut down on the time.

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

to describe mustard seeds

I tried the recipe for Crispy Brussels Sprouts with Pickled Mustard Seeds.  The combination of flavors is delicious.  The cooking instructions are for the birds.  The recipe can be found here.

We are instructed to preheat the broiler (no temperature specified) and place the oven rack as close to the heat source as possible.  The sprouts are to be halved, tossed with olive oil, S&P and placed into the broiler for 6 minutes (we are reminded to set a timer), stirred about and returned for 6 more minutes.  At that point, we add the pickled mustard seeds and give them.  Now, I knew full well this protocol would result in cinders but the author was so precise about it that I figured I'd give it a try.  

IMG_4309.jpg

I pulled off the leaves that were really incinerated, dropped the temp, lowered the rack, gave them 4 minutes, flipped them over for 2 more minutes and added the mustard seeds:

IMG_4310.jpg

After discarding the outer leaves, the rest were quite good, aside from the bigger ones being still a bit hard in the middle.   

I can and will do a better job of cooking these in the CSO but I figured I'd give the carefully detailed protocol a try.  Sheesh!

Edited to add that the mustard seeds are nice.  The recipe uses much more sugar than any others I've seen so it makes for a fairly sweet condiment that will limit its usefulness for me.  Though it was very nice in this dish and I can imagine other things it will be suited for.  The cooking time was a bit off as well, taking well over an hour to thicken, compared to the 25-35 minutes stated in the recipe.  I used a rather low simmer and am sure that cranking it up would cut down on the time.

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

IMG_4309.jpg

IMG_4310.jpg