• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Convert Slow Cooker Recipes to Use in an Oven

Shel_B

Over the past few months I've come across a few slow cooker recipes that look interesting.  This is one of them.

I don't have a slow cooker, and I'm not planning to get one.  However, it seems that it shouldn't be too difficult to cook the recipes in a Dutch oven in the regular kitchen oven, or even in a Breville or similar countertop oven.  Perhaps the trick is to properly regulate the oven's temperature.

Any thoughts on doing this?  Thanks!

... Shel

I think your basic idea is a good one.  The slow cooker can maintain a low temperature, but all of mine at "high" are hot enough to boil water...that is, something slightly over 212F.  I'd go for 200F if the oven control dial goes that low; otherwise I'd use the lowest possible setting.  A heavy pot (hence the Dutch oven, or a clay pot) will help smooth any temperature fluctuations.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

It's been my experience in pot roast and a few other things I just, for some reason, prefer to braise in the oven, that 275-300 works just fine for a long, slow cook. At least with pot roast, it doesn't seem to me to be time-critical, once you get it to the falling-apart-when-a-fork-is-twisted-in-it stage. 300F for 4 hours does a 3 pound pot roast very nicely, or that's been my experience. I wouldn't expect chicken to take that long, and I could see it benefitting from a lower temp.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com