• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Franci

Franci

For this one, I was trying to replicate the very famous cake from Biscottificio Mattei in Prato (the most famous biscotti or cantuccini for the Italians) and so I came up with these numbers

130 g yolks (just because I've always extra yolks) 

70 g egg whites (you can adjust this proportion a bit but use at least 80 g yolks)

150 g sugar (divided, keep some for the whites)

150 g butter (softened)

vanilla/lemon oil 

170 g cake flour

pinch of salt

bakers ammonia (the tip of a knife, but most recipes use a very small amount of baking powder and many others included the Artusi, none) 

almond and optional pine nuts for the topping

Whip the yolks with the sugar, add little by little the soft and cold butter, then alternate the flour with the meringue without deflating it 

Franci

Franci

For this one, I was trying to replicate the very famous cake from Biscottificio Mattei in Prato (the most famous biscotti or cantuccini for the Italians) and so I came up with this numbers

130 g yolks (just because I've always extra yolks) 

70 g egg whites (you can adjust this proportion a bit but use at least 80 g yolks)

150 g sugar (divided, keep some for the whites)

150 g butter (softened)

vanilla/lemon oil 

170 g cake flour

pinch of salt

bakers ammonia (the tip of a knife, but most recipes use a very small amount of baking powder and many others included the Artusi, none) 

almond and optional pine nuts for the topping

Whip the yolks with the sugar, add little by little the soft and cold butter, then alternate the flour with the meringue without deflating it