• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ElsieD

ElsieD

changed calm shell to clam

The biggest problem in all of this is the consumer.  As long as the consumer is willing to buy and eat tasteless, out-of-season vegetables, producers are only too happy to provide them.  I live in the eastern part of Canada and I do not buy out of season fruit that is shipped here from, say, California.  Those huge oversized strawberries for example, have no flavour and yet, even when local strawberries come to market, I still see people buying imported strawberries in their clam shells.  Peaches arrive hard as rocks and no, they don't ripen on the counter.  They get mushy, but they do not ripen,  and yet there is a market for them.  So until there are enough consumers refusing to buy the tasteless stuff, it will continue to be offered for sale.

ElsieD

ElsieD

The biggest problem in all of this is the consumer.  As long as the consumer is willing to buy and eat tasteless, out-of-season vegetables, producers are only too happy to provide them.  I live in the eastern part of Canada and I do not buy out of season fruit that is shipped here from, say, California.  Those huge oversized strawberries for example, have no flavour and yet, even when local strawberries come to market, I still see people buying imported strawberries in their calm shells.  Peaches arrive hard as rocks and no, they don't ripen on the counter.  They get mushy, but they do not ripen,  and yet there is a market for them.  So until there are enough consumers refusing to buy the tasteless stuff, it will continue to be offered for sale.