• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

This was the centrepiece of dinner tonight. It is 晒兰 (shài lán), a wonderful dry cured ham only made in one small town in western Hunan. A friend who lives there visited last week and brought me some. It is mildly flavoured and slightly sweet.

It being from Hunan, I had to treat it with respect (and heat) so I simply followed my friend's grandmothers strict instructions and stir fried it with two types of chilli peppers then added a little soy sauce. Finished with some scallion/green onion. It doesn't get much more simple. Or more hot.

IMG_1902.jpg

Served with rice. Of course.

liuzhou

liuzhou

This was the centrepiece of dinner tonight. It is 晒兰 (), a wonderful dried cured ham only made in one small town in western Hunan. A friend who lives there visited last week and brought me some. It is mildly flavoured and slightly sweet.

It being from Hunan, I had to treat it with respect (and heat) so I simply followed my friend's grandmothers strict instructions and stir fried it with two types of chilli peppers then added a little soy sauce. Finished with some scallion/green onion. It doesn't get much more simple. Or more hot.

IMG_1902.jpg

Served with rice. Of course.