• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

typo

Last night, dinner with an old friend in a Chinese/SE Asian restaurant here in town. Hadn't seen her for several years.

ubud.jpg

The restaurant itself is beautiful. Being the greedy type, we arrived early, so it was still almost empty. By the time we left it was full.

We had:

mango beef.jpg

Thai Mango Beef (泰式香芒牛肉粒 - tài shì xiāng máng niú ròu lì)

This is dish I often attempt to replicate, but I've come to feel my effort is actually preferable to theirs. I find theirs quite acceptable but rather sweet. I'm sure many would disagree.

seafood.jpg

Spicy Seafood (香辣虾兵蟹将 - xiāng là xiā bīng xiè jiāng)

Described in English (on the bilingual menu) simply as Spicy Seafood, the Chinese is more poetic. It translates as "Spicy Shrimp Soldiers and Crab Generals"  which is also a euphemism for "ineffective troops"!

Whatever, it's called, it's the mentioned shrimp and crab with lotus root, chilli, wood ear fungus, beans and more.

duck.jpg

Thai Lemon Duck (泰式柠檬鸭 - tài shì níng méng yā)

This was very nice, but I'm not sure how Thai it is.

potato.jpg

Pimento Potato Chips (干椒土豆片 - gān jiāo tǔ dòu piàn)

I wouldn't call them pimentos - the Chinese just reads dried chilli. But I wouldn't call them chips either. They are discs of potato stir fried with the dried chillis and Chinese bacon (腊肉 là ròu).

Served with rice.

My companion went for an ice-cream desert. I passed.

ice cream.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

Last night, dinner with an old friend in a Chinese/SE Asian restaurant here in town. Hadn't seen her for several years.

ubud.jpg

The restaurant itself is beautiful. Being the greedy type arrived early, so it was almost empty. By the time we left it was full.

We had:

mango beef.jpg

Thai Mango Beef (泰式香芒牛肉粒 - tài shì xiāng máng niú ròu lì)

This is dish I often attempt to replicate, but I've come to feel my effort is actually preferable to theirs. I find theirs quite acceptable but rather sweet. I'm sure many would disagree.

seafood.jpg

Spicy Seafood (香辣虾兵蟹将 - xiāng là xiā bīng xiè jiāng)

Described in English (on the bilingual menu) simply as Spicy Seafood, the Chinese is more poetic. It translates as "Spicy Shrimp Soldiers and Crab Generals"  which is also a euphemism for "ineffective troops"!

Whatever, it's called, it's the mentioned shrimp and crab with lotus root, chilli, wood ear fungus, beans and more.

duck.jpg

Thai Lemon Duck (泰式柠檬鸭 - tài shì níng méng yā)

This was very nice, but I'm not sure how Thai it is.

potato.jpg

Pimento Potato Chips (干椒土豆片 - gān jiāo tǔ dòu piàn)

I wouldn't call them pimentos - the Chinese just reads dried chilli. But I wouldn't call them chips either. They are discs of potato stir fried with the dried chillis and Chinese bacon (腊肉 là ròu).

Served with rice.

My companion went for an ice-cream desert. I passed.

ice cream.jpg