• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ElainaA

ElainaA

1 hour ago, suzilightning said:

Spiedies in Binghampton are usually lamb....especially at Sharkey's...a great dive bar back in the day(1972-1976).  After grilling it goes into a pita with some tzaziki.  Lots of garlic , olive oil, red wine vinegar and parsley.

I know that the originals were lamb but that is never available in supermarkets - including those in Binghamton (where I bought the beef ones we had for dinner). (I prefer pork but they were not available.) And traditionally, at least for the past 20 or so years since I have had them,  they are served in very soft Italian bread folded in two.  I prefer to omit the bread.

ElainaA

ElainaA

1 hour ago, suzilightning said:

Spiedies in Binghampton are usually lamb....especially at Sharkey's...a great dive bar back in the day(1972-1976).  After grilling it goes into a pita with some tzaziki.  Lots of garlic , olive oil, red wine vinegar and parsley.

I know that the originals were lamb but that is never available in supermarkets - including those in Binghamton (where I bought the beef ones we had for dinner).  And traditionally, at least for the past 20 or so years since I have had them,  they are served in very soft Italian bread folded in two.  I prefer to omit the bread.

ElainaA

ElainaA

58 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

I know that the originals were lamb but that is never available in supermarkets - including those in Binghamton (where I bought the beef ones we had for dinner).  And traditionally they are served in very soft Italian bread folded in two.