• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite cocktail podcasts?

arcadiandj

So do any of you have any favorite cocktail podcasts? I have really enjoyed Kevin Upthegrove's Five Minutes of Rum:

http://5minutesofrum.com/

Of course I've learned a lot about rum, but I've also learned a lot about tasting and making cocktails. I really like his format also, the way he starts out talking about a brand, gives a lot of background about how it is made, and then he ends with discussing how to make a cocktail (end even some of the ingredients).

I've listened to two other podcasts, but they have seemed to be more about how to be a bartender/work in the business. Do any of you have others that you enjoy?

• Like 1

Bartender Journey is the only one I've listened to. The host is not really a "natural" at this but his earnestness has some appeal. The quality of the episodes varies wildly, based on who the guest is (usually industry brand ambassadors). I learned a lot about mezcal from the episode with Misty Kolkofen, for example, but the most recent episode, on cannabis cocktails, was a goofy low.

• Like 1

I listen to bartender journey and I often find it disappointing,  in that were really often getting a sales pitch from a rep of some kind.  I much prefer the cocktail lessons,  amor y amargo talking about how they run their bar was a particular highlight recently. 

I also listen to "let's drink about it"  which is less informative and is more a fun conversation with some drinks,  which are paired to life events explained by the guests.  

There is a gap in the market for a podcast that explores cocktails more thoroughly with bar reviews and maybe experimentation with what ingredients and methods bring to classic drinks.  I've been toying with the idea of launching my own,  with a focus on London bars as well as drinking at home but I'm not sure how much of an audience there would be for that. 

• Like 2

Thanks to all for your comments! It was enjoyable exploring other content! I find at my level-a novice cocktail enthusiast who has fallen in love with tiki culture, that I gravitate back to Kevin Upthegrove's podcast. Hopefully more artists will share their knowledge so that we all can enjoy cocktails more.