• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Homemade 'Sel Fou'

pufin3

Does anyone else make their own 'Sel Fou'?

I make it a couple of times a year to give to friends and family. A dozen small jars at a time. Friends/family returns the jars so I can reuse them.

My trick with the horseradish is to peel them, rough chop then into the food processor. Pulse until the pieces are the size of small peas. Then into a 225F oven on a cookie sheet until they are thoroughly dry. Then into a coffee bean grinder. The result is a consistency of ground pepper corns.

There are some recipes on google. I follow the 'www.food.com' recipe.

Sel Fou adds a delicious complex back-note to many dishes.

• Like 1

I have certainly never heard of it by that name but I am familiar with seasoned salts. Googling gives a wide variety of ingredient options even by French bloggers. I just might give one of them a try.   Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog