• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Shel_B

Shel_B

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 3:09 PM, dcarch said:

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 9:15 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Why would you assume the berries are not local?

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 10:51 AM, Shel_B said:

What is the definition of local at that farmers market?

I have seen the same berries in other farmers markets. Whoever produces these berries must have quite a good size farm and operation.

With real estate prices, NY labor and NY taxes, there is no way you can have a real farm unless you are many hours away.

I contacted the people who run some of our local markets and asked about what constitutes "local" produce and whether or not a vendor can resell products.  Here's what I was told:

Hi Sheldon,

Typically, local produce is thought of as produce that is within 100 miles of our markets. 
          That being said, some farms at our markets travel further than that, some much less. 
          There can be no reselling at certified farmers' markets all produce must be produced by
          the seller.  Reselling is a major violation!  
          Thanks for your interest.
          Martin

Now, some markets in our general area may not be certified, and there's no telling just where their goods come from.  At a market in South Lake Tahoe I saw a vendor selling garlic from China! but that market was not certified.

So, my question to you, Dcarch, is this: Where's the fraud at your market (are you even talking about fraud, or just making the point that the produce is not local)?  Was the produce that you showed us represented as local?  And what is your market's definition of local?  We have some markets in the San Francisco Bay Area that are very specific about reselling and defining what local produce is.  At some markets only organic, local produce may be sold.  Others don't require organic, but the produce must be local (within that market's definition of the term) and only growers may sell, not resellers.
Shel_B

Shel_B

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 3:09 PM, dcarch said:

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 9:15 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Why would you assume the berries are not local?

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 10:51 AM, Shel_B said:

What is the definition of local at that farmers market?

I have seen the same berries in other farmers markets. Whoever produces these berries must have quite a good size farm and operation.

With real estate prices, NY labor and NY taxes, there is no way you can have a real farm unless you are many hours away.

I contacted the people who run some of our local markets and asked about what constitutes "local" produce and whether or not a vendor can resell products.  Here's what I was told:

Hi Sheldon,

Typically, local produce is thought of as produce that is within 100 miles of our markets. 
          That being said, some farms at our markets travel further than that, some much less. 
          There can be no reselling at certified farmers' markets all produce must be produced by
          the seller.  Reselling is a major violation!  
          Thanks for your interest.
          Martin

Now, some markets in our general area may not be certified, and there's no telling just where their goods come from.  At a market in South Lake Tahoe I saw a vendor selling garlic from China! but that market was not certified.

So, my question to you, Dcarch, is this: Where's the fraud at your market (are you even talking about fraud, or just making the point that the produce is not local)?  Was the produce that you showed us represented as local?  And what is your market's definition of local?  We have some markets in the San Francisco Bay Area that are very specific about reselling and defining what local produce is.  At some markets only organic, local produce may be sold.  Others don't require organic, but the produce must be local (within that market's definition of the term) and only growers may sell, not resellers.