• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Cineris

Cineris

That's right, Norway. Not sure about the ingredients, but I really doubt they buy it locally, as the restaurant is located in what you probably would call a village. I know they travel to China, and you can get stuff sent from Oslo, which is where I'm located at the moment. Not easy for me to run back home to order the dish. That's why I can't provide pics or menu atm. Unfortunately I have not been able to get my hands on some Shaoxing wine yet, as the alcohol laws here are pretty strict, and expensive.
And I think you are very right about mentioning that the restaurant has it's very own version. Not just a general dish. That's why I'm searching all over the net. Maybe someone knows something. It's difficult.

The owners have lived in Norway since 2000, and they still do not speak the language. I asked one of their sons if he could ask about the recipe and explain it to me. He said it would be very difficult for him to translate it to Norwegian. I don't know if that's the truth, or if it's just a way to keep it a secret. I really doubt they are Szchuanese as their menu is not close to Szechuanese food.

Cineris

Cineris

That's right, Norway. Not sure about the ingredients, but I really doubt they buy it locally, as the restaurant is located in what you probably would call a village. I know they travel to China, and you can get stuff sent from Oslo, which is where I'm located at the moment. Not easy for me to run back home to order the dish. That's why I can't provide pics or menu atm. Unfortunately I have not been able to get my hands on some Shaoxing wine yet, as the alcohol laws here are pretty strict, and expensive.
And I think you are very right about mentioning that the restaurant has it's very own version. Not just a general dish. That's why I'm searching all over the net. Maybe someone knows something. It's difficult.

The owners have lived in Norway since 2000, and they still do not speak the language. I asked one of their sons if he could ask about the recipe and explain it to me. He said it would be very difficult for him to translate it to Norwegian. I don't know if that's the truth, or if it's just a way to keep it a secret. I really doubt they are Szchuanese as their menu is not close to Szechuane food. 

Cineris

Cineris

The owners have lived in Norway since 2000, and they still do not speak the language. I asked one of their sons if he could ask about the recipe and explain it to me. He said it would be very difficult for him to translate it to Norwegian. I don't know if that's the truth, or if it's just a way to keep it a secret. I really doubt they are Szchuanese as their menu is not close to Szechuan.