• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Curing in warm conditions

Mik1428

Will curing in room temperature or maybe warmer possible? Ive been thinking about brining the meat. My reason for exploring this option would be because I am currently running out of refrigerator space. 

1 hour ago, Mik1428 said:

Will curing in room temperature or maybe warmer possible? Ive been thinking about brining the meat. My reason for exploring this option would be because I am currently running out of refrigerator space. 

People cure meats here in the tropics without refrigeration, so I can't see how it would be a problem.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

A terrible thing is ignorance, the source of endless human woes, spreading a mist over facts, obscuring truth, and casting a gloom upon the individual life. - Lucian of Samosata (born 120, died after 180 CE)

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On 3/17/2016 at 6:34 PM, liuzhou said:

People cure meats here in the tropics without refrigeration, so I can't see how it would be a problem.

Thank you for the reply. What process do you guys use? 

5 hours ago, Mik1428 said:

Thank you for the reply. What process do you guys use? 

Various processes. Mostly dry cures, but not always.The same as anywhere else.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

A terrible thing is ignorance, the source of endless human woes, spreading a mist over facts, obscuring truth, and casting a gloom upon the individual life. - Lucian of Samosata (born 120, died after 180 CE)

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Also in the tropics; I've also done wet curing, salhumerio style, in buried crocks in the shade of the garden.  You have to have a good layer of brine over the meat, though, otherwise ants will spoil your work.

• Like 1

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)