• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

typo

Tonight I ate out with an old friend I haven't seen for ten years, although we have communicated with each other on-line occasionally over the years. She was in town on business and we met at a local restaurant, I arrived still feeling full from a large sushi/sashimi lunch with another friend, but hey ho!

We had hot pot.

We started with this pot of white pork broth containing huge marrow bones (骨 髓 白 汤 煲 gú suǐ bái tāng bào). Gloves are provided to help you deal with getting the meat off the bones, but mostly it's just a gnawing experience. Nothing refined or dainty. Drinking straws are also provided for sucking out that marrow, but first we drank some of the soup. The broth also contained water chestnuts, Delicious.

IMg.jpg

IMG_8331.JPG

Then a dish of .steamed shrimp with garlic chives arrived (韭香生焗虾 jiǔ xiāng shēng jú xiā). These were sweet and spicy. My friend, who ordered the dish, announced she doesn't eat seafood, so I got them all to myself. Happiness!

IMG_8321.JPG

Some sweet yellow bean paste buns (麦香包 mài xiāng bāo) were next to arrive: Cake in the middle of dinner isn't uncommon.

IMG_8324.JPG

Then we started cooking stuff in the soup base, which was topped up regularly by attentive staff. We threw in these rolls of fatty beef (肥牛卷 féi niú juǎn) which cook instantly.  Below them are slices of daikon radish (白萝卜 bái luó bó) which also went in but took longer to cook.

IMG_8336.jpg

And some enoki mushrooms

IMG_8338.JPG

Finally a plate of stir fried Chinese lettuce (油麻菜 yóu má cài).

IMG_8333.JPG

My friend also presented me with a big bag of wood ear fungus and a similar bag of dried shiitake.

A good time was had.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Tonight I ate out with an old friend I haven't seen for ten years, although we have communicated with each other on-line occasionally over the years. She was in town on business and we met at a local restaurant, I arrived still feeling full from a large sushi/sashimi lunch with another friend, but hey ho!

We had hot pot.

We started with this pot of white pork broth containing huge marrow bones (骨 髓 白 汤 煲 gú suǐ bái tāng bào). Gloves are provided to help you deal with getting the meat off the bones, but mostly it's just a gnawing experience. Nothing refined or dainty. Drinking straws are also provided for sucking out that marrow, but first we drank some of the soup. The broth also contained water chestnuts, Delicious.

IMg.jpg

IMG_8331.JPG

Then a dish of .steamed shrimp with garlic chives arrived (韭香生焗虾 jiǔ xiāng shēng jú xiā lì pái). These were sweet and spicy. My friend, who ordered the dish, announced she doesn't eat seafood, so I got them all to myself. Happiness!

IMG_8321.JPG

Some sweet yellow bean paste buns (麦香包 mài xiāng bāo) were next to arrive: Cake in the middle of dinner isn't uncommon.

IMG_8324.JPG

Then we started cooking stuff in the soup base, which was topped up regularly by attentive staff. We threw in these rolls of fatty beef (肥牛卷 féi niú juǎn) which cook instantly.  Below them are slices of daikon radish (白萝卜 bái luó bó) which also went in but took longer to cook.

IMG_8336.jpg

And some enoki mushrooms

IMG_8338.JPG

IMG_8333.JPG

My friend also presented me with a big bag of wood ear fungus and a similar bag of dried shiitake.

A good time was had.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Tonight I ate out with an old friend I haven't seen for ten years, although we have communicated with each other online occasionally over the years. She was in town on business and we met at a local restaurant, I arrived still feeling full from a large sushi/sashimi lunch with another friend, but hey ho!

We had hot pot.

We started with this pot of white pork broth containing huge marrow bones (骨 髓 白 汤 煲 gú suǐ bái tāng bào). Gloves are provided to help you deal with getting the meat off the bones ans drinking straws are provided for sucking out that marrow, but first we drank some of the soup. The broth also contained water chestnuts, Delicious.

IMg.jpg

IMG_8331.JPG

Then a dish of .steamed shrimp with garlic chives arrived (韭香生焗虾 jiǔ xiāng shēng jú xiā lì pái). These were sweet and spicy. My friend, who ordered the dish, announced she doesn't eat seafood, so I got them all to myself. Happiness!

IMG_8321.JPG

IMG_8324.JPG

IMG_8336.jpg

And some enoki mushrooms

IMG_8338.JPG

A good time was had.

IMG_8333.JPG