• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

rarerollingobject

rarerollingobject

This is salted egg yolk prawns, a Malaysian dish. You steam salted duck egg yolks, mash them and then fry them in butter with chillis, garlic, ginger, curry leaves and shallots until the yolks are foamy, and then coat crispy deep fried prawns in this sauce. Eaten with steamed Chinese broccoli and white rice.

If you don't immediately recognise the end product as prawns, it's because of my Staunch Prawn Preparation Opinions, which are as follows:

1. Always remove tail. Tail-on prawns just annoy me. Presentation is nicer, yes, but this is dinner and I ain't playing.

2. Except in very rare cases, I prefer shell off. I do like when prawn shells go crispy, but with a soft, wet sauce, it's hard to keep them crispy enough, so shell off is better.

3. I prefer head on. (Australian prawns are always sold head on).

4. I would rather de-face the prawn, ie. cut off the sharp prongs, whiskers, eyes, and front legs with scissors. Less stabby and fewer eye-balls.

5. Always devein and butterfly.

So in sum, my preference is face off, head on, shell off, butterflied, tail off. Phew! See? Staunch.

yolk2.thumb.jpg.989f7441775db9bf16057450

yolk.jpg.67a9083780caf1cb58ea257cb85721f

rarerollingobject

rarerollingobject

This is salted egg yolk prawns, a Malaysian dish. You steam salted duck egg yolks, mash them and then fry them in butter with chillis, garlic, ginger, curry leaves and shallots until the yolks are foamy, and then coat crispy deep fried prawns in this sauce. Eaten with steamed Chinese broccoli and white rice.

If you don't immediately recognise the end product as prawns, it's because of my Staunch Prawn Preparation Opinions, which are as follows:

1. Always remove tail. Tail-on prawns just annoy me. Presentation is nicer, yes, but this is dinner and I ain't playing.

2. Except in very rare cases, I prefer shell off. I do like when prawn shells go crispy, but with a soft, wet sauce, it's hard to keep them crispy enough, so shell off is better.

3. I prefer head on. (Australian prawns are always sold head on).

4. I would rather de-face the prawn, ie. cut off the sharp prongs, whiskers, eyes, and front legs with scissors. Less stabby and eye-balls.

5. Always devein and butterfly.

So in sum, my preference is face off, head on, shell off, butterflied, tail off. Phew! See? Staunch.

yolk2.thumb.jpg.989f7441775db9bf16057450

yolk.jpg.67a9083780caf1cb58ea257cb85721f