• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

LindaK

LindaK

formatting and spelling troubles

Deryn,

I took a look at Canso on google maps. At first it was a puzzle that much of the area didn’t appear to have any roads. Then I realized that probably half of the land is a designated wilderness area. Clearly there will never be a big population cluster there, not enough to sustain any kind of business.  I like the ideas of a popup or meetup, though, which don’t require a risky financial investment on your part, as a food truck or B&B would.

I noticed on the map that there is a hospital.  Perhaps they’d be interested in partnering with you on some informal community events that promote healthy food and nutrition. Maybe with you doing some cooking demos at the co-op with local ingredients and items that the co-op could try selling. I see on the LearningCenter’s website that they have a youth health program--maybe you could offer an after-school cooking class for the kids. Keep it simple. Help build demand for the kinds of food you’d like to be available, hopefully find a few kindred spirits along the way.

As far as a pop-up or meetup, I’d reach out the businesses in town like the hospital and the bank, who might have an interest in letting their employees know about an event like that.  I also see a seasonal campground and cottage rental site nearly.  Visitors might be interested if you do it during the summer.

LindaK

LindaK

formatting troubles

Deryn,

I took a look at Casco on google maps. At first it was a puzzle that much of the area didn’t appear to have any roads. Then I realized that probably half of the land is a designated wilderness area. Clearly there will never be a big population cluster there, not enough to sustain any kind of business.  I like the ideas of a popup or meetup, though, which don’t require a risky financial investment on your part, as a food truck or B&B would.

I noticed on the map that there is a hospital.  Perhaps they’d be interested in partnering with you on some informal community events that promote healthy food and nutrition. Maybe with you doing some cooking demos at the co-op with local ingredients and items that the co-op could try selling. I see on the LearningCenter’s website that they have a youth health program--maybe you could offer an after-school cooking class for the kids. Keep it simple. Help build demand for the kinds of food you’d like to be available, hopefully find a few kindred spirits along the way.

As far as a pop-up or meetup, I’d reach out the businesses in town like the hospital and the bank, who might have an interest in letting their employees know about an event like that.  I also see a seasonal campground and cottage rental site nearly.  Visitors might be interested if you do it during the summer.

LindaK

LindaK

Deryn,

I took a look at Casco on google maps. At first it was a puzzle that much of the area didn’t appear to have any roads. Then I realized that probably half of the land is a designated wilderness area. Clearly there will never be a big population cluster there, not enough to sustain any kind of business.  I like the ideas of a popup or meetup, though, which don’t require a risky financial investment on your part, as a food truck or B&B would.