• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Member - On a right Thai Food Buzz

garyh

So, I'm right into my Thai cooking t the moment.  Bought David Thompsons Thai Cooking.  Tried the Massamun, which wasn't bad, but I'm not so sure my effort, was worth the effort!

Anyone else tried a massamun?

Tried the Green curry too, it was spicy, but good, but I'm not sure I'm getting all the flavours correct.  I'm expecting an explosion of flavour for all the effort I'm putting into it.

I'm using all authentic ingredients too, plus a pestle and mortar.  My right arm is beginning to look like I just discovered the internet :-p

Any tips from anyone more experience in cooking Thai food from scratch?

Edited by garyh (log)

Welcome to eGullet, gary.

My personal philosophy when it comes to Thai (or most other cooking) is that one takes general direction from cookbooks, learns the basic techniques, ingredient tastes and combinations, experiments to find the mix that works for oneself, and then relaxes. After all, most Thai cooking/recipes/types of recipes are just the result of home cooking - and the taste would be different in every home you visit over there - or every restaurant you visit here or there for that matter. Learn the general technique and what a dish might look like .. and then use whatever ingredients you have that might get you there or close. The purpose of cooking is to make what one is going to enjoy eating - and everyone has different tastebuds so how can you be 'incorrect' when it comes to flavour if YOU like it?

You might try mixing up your curry paste in a blender rather than trying to do it all manually in a mortar. There really are no prizes for killing yourself to recreate a paste that even in smaller places in Thailand today is often done by machine too. And indeed it seems that many home cooks in Thailand are now using premade pastes as well and say there is no shame in that.

Taste as you go along ... if you don't like what you taste .. adjust it - add more chilis or lemongrass, etc. And there is another point - you may be using 'authentic' ingredients but they may not have the same pungency as they would have if just pulled from a Thai field, etc. so you just need to develop both your own taste and a feel for what the end product is you want to produce. Keep practicing.

Edited by Deryn (log)
  • Like 2