• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Deryn

Deryn

rotuts - I agree about the 'construction' concerns with the Puck oven and yes, I know there is no 'steam' however there is no 'steam' per se in the IP either and it can do pretty amazing things. At any rate, I am not rushing to buy his 'pressure oven' either but it has been back on my mind lately. It is basically an IP in a different form and with slightly different 'accessories' (as well as having heating elements exposed) as far as I can tell. (edited since I didn't see ElsieD and rotuts additional posts - you may be right - still trying to research that - I admit the 'bumpf' including the demos I have seen on TV are NOT specific and may indeed be very misleading!)

fledflew - Thank you so much for that comprehensive report. Apart from the size issue, the remote aspect for me is probably another deal killer. If it did both manual and Bluetooth/phone app equally well, I would be still interested (especially if the size was a bit larger) but the anticipated Tovala customer base I guess definitely won't include someone like me who likes to just push a button or two on the machine (a la my microwave) and doesn't own a smartphone at all. And since I don't eat the same thing all the time or even if I did it might not be in the same amounts at one time, etc., preprogramming sounds a bit more work than I would want to go to these days - unless I could do a few generic programs like 350 degrees for 15 or 30 minutes and just keep hitting a button to make that for 1 hour or 2, etc. There is something about that almost entirely remote concept (especially when it includes a line of pre-packaged foods) that just sounds a bit too 'back to the future' or Jetsons to me. But, I am sure they will have a large techie audience and I hope they do well with that market. Someone else will come along who will take their concept maybe, fix the issues many of us see and I will be watching for that to happen - and hope it is soon.

Deryn

Deryn

rotuts - I agree about the 'construction' concerns with the Puck oven and yes, I know there is no 'steam' however there is no 'steam' per se in the IP either and it can do pretty amazing things. At any rate, I am not rushing to buy his 'pressure oven' either but it has been back on my mind lately. It is basically an IP in a different form and with slightly different 'accessories' (as well as having heating elements exposed) as far as I can tell. (edited since I didn't see ElsieD and rotuts additional posts - you may be right - still trying to research that - I admit the 'bumpf' including the demos I have seen on TV are NOT specific and may indeed be very misleading!)

fledflew - Thank you so much for that comprehensive report. Apart from the size issue, the remote aspect for me is probably another deal killer. If it did both manual and Bluetooth/phone app equally well, I would be still interested (especially if the size was a bit larger) but the anticipated Tovala customer base I guess definitely won't include someone like me who likes to just push a button or two on the machine (a la my microwave) and doesn't own a smartphone at all. And since I don't eat the same thing all the time or even if I did it might not be in the same amounts at one time, etc., preprogramming sounds a bit more work than I would want to go to these days - unless I could do a few generic programs like 350 degrees for 15 or 30 minutes and just keep hitting a button to make that for 1 hour or 2, etc. There is something about almost entirely remote concept (especially when it includes a line of pre-packaged foods) that just sounds a bit too 'back to the future' or Jetsons to me. But, I am sure they will have a large techie audience and I hope they do well with that market. Someone else will come along who will take their concept maybe, fix the issues many of us see and I will be watching for that to happen - and hope it is soon.

Deryn

Deryn

rotuts - I agree about the 'construction' concerns with the Puck oven and yes, I know there is no 'steam' however there is no 'steam' per se in the IP either and it can do pretty amazing things. At any rate, I am not rushing to buy his 'pressure oven' either but it has been back on my mind lately. It is basically an IP in a different form and with slightly different 'accessories' (as well as having heating elements exposed) as far as I can tell.

fledflew - Thank you so much for that comprehensive report. Apart from the size issue, the remote aspect for me is probably another deal killer. If it did both manual and Bluetooth/phone app equally well, I would be still interested (especially if the size was a bit larger) but the anticipated Tovala customer base I guess definitely won't include someone like me who likes to just push a button or two on the machine (a la my microwave) and doesn't own a smartphone at all. And since I don't eat the same thing all the time or even if I did it might not be in the same amounts at one time, etc., preprogramming sounds a bit more work than I would want to go to these days - unless I could do a few generic programs like 350 degrees for 15 or 30 minutes and just keep hitting a button to make that for 1 hour or 2, etc. There is something about almost entirely remote concept (especially when it includes a line of pre-packaged foods) that just sounds a bit too 'back to the future' or Jetsons to me. But, I am sure they will have a large techie audience and I hope they do well with that market. Someone else will come along who will take their concept maybe, fix the issues many of us see and I will be watching for that to happen - and hope it is soon.