• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

MetsFan5

MetsFan5

After reading what I could find on Reddit and other various sites, I was not surprised today when, after cooking a meal, I discovered my oven is malfunctioning. 

I have been adding water— more than would seem needed for days now. Zero leaks, it seemed weird. After tonight’s meal I knew it had to be low as the steam function was being used and I could see the steam being released. 

so, I kept slowly adding water, and then the moment I took my eyes off the bottom of the oven to peer into the top, where I dispense the water, I had a flood on my counter. 

I’m not surprised as I said. The scanner doesn’t read, or at least my own doesn’t read, any of the cooking times for products that are supposed to be “Tovala friendly”.  It quickly reads the code on the meals but it hasn’t successfully read a code on any other product. 

I view it as a  somewhat higher end toaster oven. The meals are great to have on hand when I just eat because I need to and most meals are tasty enough. I have one more meal delivery I already paid for and then I’ll quit. I’m not about to haul this 30lb oven to be shipped in return for a new one. I’ll use it as a toaster oven. The meals create (as well as the oven did) a LOT of packaging to breakdown and that is a real pain in the ass for me as I have to walk everything out to various recycling and garbage receptacles and that involves stairs and lifting everything over my shoulder (I’m 5’7) to throw into the receptacles. I get enough online deliveries, I don’t like the huge box the meals come in with heavy insulation— one box is all I can carry with both hands and even with everything meal wise removed, it weighs a solid 10lbs. If the box was smaller and I could see where I’m stepping while taking it to the trash, it wouldn’t be so awkward. 

I’ll contact support tomorrow regarding this issue, they aren’t live right now and last time I emailed with an issue it took them two days to respond and by then I had figured it out. 

I’m pretty pissed about this water leak mess but, as stated, not surprised. 

Overall I would not recommend it. I’m glad I tried it, as I am the type the market to, and the meals were mostly good but I’m not the type of customer to send a product back and get a replacement when it comes to products like this. 

Also the “air frying” feature, which the oven should scan  for products like Ore Ida  fries, might work if the oven scanned the barcode, but since my won’t, it’s just crap. It burns everything, even when following the “airfry” instruction and using the “airfrying” tray. 

MetsFan5

MetsFan5

After reading what I could find on Reddit and other various sites, I was not surprised today when, after cooking a meal, I discovered my oven is malfunctioning. 

I have been adding water— more than would seem needed for days now. Zero leaks, it seemed weird. After tonight’s meal I knew it had to be low as the steam function was being used and I could see the steam being released. 

so, I kept slowly adding water, and then the moment I took my eyes off the bottom of the oven to peer into the top, where I dispense the water, I had a flood on my counter. 

I’m not surprised as I said. The scanner doesn’t read, or at least my own doesn’t read, any of the cooking times for products that are supposed to be “Tovala friendly”. Essentially I view it as a  somewhat higher end toaster oven. The meals are great to have on hand when I just eat because I need to and most meals are tasty enough. I have one more meal delivery I already paid for and then I’ll likely quit. I’m not about to haul this 30lb oven to be shipped in return for a new one. I’ll use it as a toaster oven. The meals create (as well as the oven did) a LOT of packaging to breakdown and that is a real pain in the ass for me as I have to walk everything out to various recycling and garbage receptacles and that involves stairs and lifting everything over my shoulder (I’m 5’7) to throw into the receptacles. I get enough online deliveries, I don’t like the huge box the meals come in with heavy insulation— one box is all I can carry with both hands and even with everything meal wise removed, it weighs a solid 10lbs. If the box was smaller and I could see where I’m stepping while taking it to the trash, it wouldn’t be so awkward. 

I’ll contact support tomorrow regarding this issue, they aren’t live right now and last time I emailed with an issue it took them two days to respond and by then I had figured it out. 

I’m pretty pissed about this water leak mess but, as stated, not surprised.