• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making bottarga at home

Josh71

I am currently in the process of making bottarga, salted fish roe.

Recipe reference: http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/salted-fish-roe-bottarga

So far, here what I have done:

- sub-merge the fish roe in salted water (10% salt) for 24 hours

- put the fish roe on top of kitchen paper with layer of salt and then cover it with another layer of salt

* Change the kitchen paper and salt every 24 hours

* Do this for 3 days

After this, the recipe reference said to hang the fish roe in a cold dry place for a week or more.

Well, I don't have cold dry place. So, I thought I could simply put it in the refrigerator, like this:

- after 3 days, I rinse the fish roe under cold water and pat dry with kitchen paper

- put back the fish roe in the refrigerator, uncovered

My question, regarding this last step. Do I need to wrap it using kind of cheese cloth? 

I used to make "duck ham" and I wrapped the salted duck breast with cheese cloth for a week, which makes it hard.

PS: After those 3 days layer salting, and rinsed, it smells and taste very nice. It is quite hard, but not rock hard which I think it's the bottarga texture supposed to be.

Thanks.

Edited by Josh71 (log)

32 minutes ago, Josh71 said:

It is quite hard, but not rock hard which I think it's the bottarga texture supposed to be.

Thanks.

Sorry, I'm not help in making the bottarga. But I like eating it...and I had quite a few Sardinian friends. The bottarga is not supposed to be rock hard. When I buy it, I pick it depending on the use I have for it. The lighter the color means that is fresher and softer and that one I use cut with a mandolin for salads (like artichokes and bottarga), the darker the color the firmer it gets, it's more suitable for grating. Sometimes if I buy a bottarga that is too fresh, so I leave it for weeks before using it for grating. 

Good luck with your experiments.

Franci, you are correct. Probably rock hard is not the right word, but hard enough to be grated :)

I have never bought bottarga in the original form, only in a bottle which has been grated.

Well, as I have 3 pieces, I will put one inside a cheese cloth and see in a week to compare!