• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Deryn

Deryn

ChocoMom - What an ordeal you have been through. So sorry to hear about it all and I am glad you and yours are safe.

Countertops? Probably not what you need for chocolate work, but, my personal favorite countertop material is soapstone. I am not a fan of granite - too fussy for me - but I guess most like that best for candy - with its slick surface.

Appliances? Well, if you can squeeze it out of the insurance dollars (since you are rebuilding so quickly I gather the insurance company is being very cooperative) .. an HR freeze-dryer - for those centers! And, of course, you will need an EZ Temper no doubt. :)  And I love my TMX - but perhaps the newer version with the better heat control would suit you better. For large batches though, I doubt it would be that handy as it is relatively small (for any kind of a commercial operation). Kerry would be able to advise you better about that though I am sure.

Looking forward to hearing about the rebuilding. Are you making design changes to the house (or building a completely different design)? I know if my house in NS burned down I would definitely do my best to build something with a different layout - a single storey (this one is 2 storeys) with a layout similar to the one I am trying to sell in NC.

Again, I am so glad you are safe. Take care of yourself and your family.

Deryn

Deryn

ChocoMom - What an ordeal you have been through. So sorry to hear about it all and I am glad you and yours are safe.

Countertops? Probably not what you need for chocolate work, but, my personal favorite countertop material is soapstone. I am not a fan of granite - too fussy for me - but I guess most like that best for candy - with its slick surface.

Appliances? Well, if you can squeeze it out of the insurance dollars (since you are rebuilding so quickly I gather the insurance company is being very cooperative) .. a HR freeze-dryer - for those centers! And, of course, you will need an EZ Temper no doubt. :)  And I love my TMX - but perhaps the newer version with the better heat control would suit you better. For large batches though, I doubt it would be that handy as it is relatively small (for any kind of a commercial operation). Kerry would be able to advise you better about that though I am sure.

Looking forward to hearing about the rebuilding. Are you making design changes to the house (or building a completely different design)? I know if my house in NS burned down I would definitely do my best to build something with a different layout - a single storey (this one is 2 storeys) with a layout similar to the one I am trying to sell in NC.

Again, I am so glad you are safe. Take care of yourself and your family.