• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

some words went missing

On 20/02/2016 at 1:53 AM, Deryn said:

Is there a significant difference between horse and donkey noodles, taste and texture wise?  Does the second balk at being chewed or stubbornly resist tenderness?

I would love to know more about (and see pictures of) snail noodles. I love escargot ... are those buttery, garlicky and reminiscent of those? Or are these tinier snails, more akin to periwinkle size, and swimming in soy sauce?

I am eagerly awaiting more noodle facts and pics from the heart and soul of your fascinating area, luizhou.

And, by the way, did Pig Face make a New Year's debut yet?

Horse and donkey are similar in taste, but the donkey meat is more tender - melts in the mouth. It is, by a long shot,  my favourite.

The snail noodles dish, 螺蛳粉 luó sī fěn is rice noodles, chilli, dried tofu skin and pickled bamboo in a stock made by boiling snails and pig bones, stewed for ten hours with black cardamom, fennel seed, dried tangerine peel, cassia bark, cloves, pepper, bay leaf, licorice root, sand ginger, and star anise. The customer then adds coriander leaf, Chinese chives, more chilli etc to their particular taste.

There are not usually any actual snails served in the dish. The locals can't get enough of it, although many outsiders are put off by the strong scent of the bamboo. There is even a Facebook group page celebrating the dish.

Here is one version from my nearest shop.

luosifen1.JPG.457665cbaf5f6627df5a960563

And another

luosifen2.jpg.c3a19f272d146d69c76d815c0b

It is being unusually warm here right now, so Cameron Pig Face hasn't made her debut yet.

On 20/02/2016 at 3:15 AM, Lisa Shock said:

Do you have a place near you that makes the sliced/shaved noodles?

There was one very near that did 刀削 面 (dāo xuē miàn) or knife cut noodles, but the street in question has recently been pulled down for 'development'. They may have popped up elsewhere, but if so, I have yet to find them. There is, however, another shop slightly further away. Maybe 30 minutes walk. Worth it though.

liuzhou

liuzhou

7 hours ago, Deryn said:

Is there a significant difference between horse and donkey noodles, taste and texture wise?  Does the second balk at being chewed or stubbornly resist tenderness?

I would love to know more about (and see pictures of) snail noodles. I love escargot ... are those buttery, garlicky and reminiscent of those? Or are these tinier snails, more akin to periwinkle size, and swimming in soy sauce?

I am eagerly awaiting more noodle facts and pics from the heart and soul of your fascinating area, luizhou.

And, by the way, did Pig Face make a New Year's debut yet?

Horse and donkey are similar in taste, but the donkey meat is more tender - melts in the mouth. It is, by my favourite.

The snail noodles dish, 螺蛳粉 luó sī fěn is rice noodles, chilli, dried tofu skin and pickled bamboo in a stock made by boiling snails and pig bones, stewed for ten hours with black cardamom, fennel seed, dried tangerine peel, cassia bark, cloves, pepper, bay leaf, licorice root, sand ginger, and star anise. The customer then adds coriander leaf, Chinese chives, more chilli etc to their particular taste.

There are not usually any actual snails served in the dish. The locals can't get enough of it, although many outsiders are put off by the strong scent of the bamboo. There is even a Facebook group page celebrating the dish.

Here is one version from my nearest shop.

luosifen1.JPG.457665cbaf5f6627df5a960563

And another

luosifen2.jpg.c3a19f272d146d69c76d815c0b

It is being unusually warm here right now, so Cameron Pig Face hasn't made her debut yet.

6 hours ago, Lisa Shock said:

Do you have a place near you that makes the sliced/shaved noodles?

There was one very near that did 刀削 面 (dāo xuē miàn) or knife cut noodles, but the street in question has recently been pulled down for 'development'. They may have popped up elsewhere, but if so, I have yet to find them. There is, however, another shop slightly further away. Maybe 30 minutes walk. Worth it though.