• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shower caddy in the kitchen

Norm Matthews

My son got tired of rummaging through the cabinets to find potatoes and onions among the rice and crackers so he put them in separate cloth bags and hung them up by some ornamentation at the kitchen door. It was practical but kind of ugly.  Cassie said she thought some kind of baskets would be be better looking. Going on something I saw on the internet, went to Marshall's and looked around for something and settled on these.  Then I went to a hardware store and got the hangers to hold them.

DSCN3296_zpsrp5kzq3b.jpg

• Like 11

Just do not store potatoes on the rack. Potatoes need to be stored in a dark place to prevent the chlorophyll developing in the skins. Not too good for human consumption!

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

I won't store the potatoes with the onions because when stored together, they release gasses that promote both of them to spoil faster.  I generally don't buy either in large quantity.  The only reason there are as many onions in that picture is because Cassie and I both got onions on the same day without the other knowing it.  I usually only have enough of either that they will be used up within the week.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)

It looks like a very good arrangement, but might you be placing a little too much faith in that CommandTM Hook? What is its stated load-bearing capacity?  I have them all over the place but generally keep the weight lighter, for fear of breakage or at least a midnight awakening.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

2 hours ago, Smithy said:

It looks like a very good arrangement, but might you be placing a little too much faith in that CommandTM Hook?

Hi, Smithy:

Excellent point.  Last year a valuable framed print of mine was lost because of my trust in the peel-n-stick CommandTM Hook.

Here is an update on what I did yesterday.  You can see the two side clips and bottom clip added to increase stability and support.  The basket on the counter is for potatoes and has had a canvas bag added.  Everyone can please ignore the mess in the rest of the kitchen. 

DSCN3297_zpsdjv6fuvy.jpg

DSCN3298_zpsq4x3nhyw.jpg

• Like 4