• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Reconsidered the 'carb' status of winter squash.

1 hour ago, Pan said:

I have some good Indian cauliflower recipes, but I'd always like another good one.

I'm not being strictly low-carb right now, but I will tend that way and may need to become strict to lose all the weight I want to lose, so though I'll consider pasta recipes now and then, I'd rather cook other kinds of Italian dishes (more in the nature of secondi and contorni - for example, I can make a good simple dish of sliced zucchini and yellow squash with fresh tomatoes, garlic, onions, fresh basil and oregano and pepper, plus possibly a splash of wine if I get some good wine and have a good way to keep it fresh-tasting).

I did a loose version of this recipe a couple of weeks ago and liked it: Spicy Roasted Cauliflower with Tahini, from Saveur.com. I had a couple of quibbles with the recipe: the leaves didn't come out well enough to justify leaving them in, but then I cut the cauliflower into 8ths instead of quarters and may have messed things up there.  The salt can be omitted.  The tahini, according to my jar, has 25 mg sodium for 2 Tbsp.  I plan to keep tweaking this and put it into regular rotation.

Your sliced zucchini and yellow squash treatment makes me wonder about winter squash treatments.  They may not be very low-carb, but they can be low-sodium and savory.  Have you checked out the eG Cookoff #71: Winter Squash topic?

Smithy

Smithy

1 hour ago, Pan said:

I have some good Indian cauliflower recipes, but I'd always like another good one.

I'm not being strictly low-carb right now, but I will tend that way and may need to become strict to lose all the weight I want to lose, so though I'll consider pasta recipes now and then, I'd rather cook other kinds of Italian dishes (more in the nature of secondi and contorni - for example, I can make a good simple dish of sliced zucchini and yellow squash with fresh tomatoes, garlic, onions, fresh basil and oregano and pepper, plus possibly a splash of wine if I get some good wine and have a good way to keep it fresh-tasting).

I did a loose version of this recipe a couple of weeks ago and liked it: Spicy Roasted Cauliflower with Tahini, from Saveur.com. I had a couple of quibbles with the recipe: the leaves didn't come out well enough to justify leaving them in, but then I cut the cauliflower into 8ths instead of quarters and may have messed things up there.  The salt can be omitted.  The tahini, according to my jar, has 25 mg sodium for 2 Tbsp.  I plan to keep tweaking this and put it into regular rotation.

Your sliced zucchini and yellow squash treatment makes me wonder about winter squash treatments.  They can be low-carb, low-sodium and savory.  Have you checked out the eG Cookoff #71: Winter Squash topic?