• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

6 hours ago, Pan said:

Oh, one thing I've been thinking about: I like to drink hibiscus tea, which is also a diuretic known to lower blood pressure. Do any of you have good ideas of ways to use it in cooking? Like, do you think it would be good to use some highly concentrated hibiscus tea along with lemon juice, herbs, spices and onions when roasting a chicken?

Pan, this sounds like an excellent idea.  Another possibility is to grind those hibiscus petals finely and add them directly to a spice rub.  I haven't tried it, but I think it would work brilliantly.  I do wonder whether hibiscus AND lemon juice might be a bit of overkill toward tartness.

We keep working in our household toward lower-salt cooking, small steps at a time.  The easy things are not to buy prepared foods, which almost inevitably have high sodium, and not to add salt during cooking.  This is practical up to a point, but I'm fond of being able once in a while to grab a jar of prepared sauce or cooked beans, and the occasional deli meats.  (2 steps forward, 1 step back...) Then there is the issue of bread...which needs some salt in the dough.  As for the salt substitutes: he's perfectly happy with one of the potassium chloride-based fake salts.  I hate 'em.

I'm glad you're still with us and able to get this topic started again.  Thanks for giving the rest of us a wake-up call. I think this is a great topic for a brainstorming sesson.

Smithy

Smithy

5 hours ago, Pan said:

Oh, one thing I've been thinking about: I like to drink hibiscus tea, which is also a diuretic known to lower blood pressure. Do any of you have good ideas of ways to use it in cooking? Like, do you think it would be good to use some highly concentrated hibiscus tea along with lemon juice, herbs, spices and onions when roasting a chicken?

Pan, this sounds like an excellent idea.  Another possibility is to grind those hibiscus petals finely and add them directly to a spice rub.  I haven't tried it, but I think it would work brilliantly.  I do wonder whether hibiscus AND lemon juice might be a bit of overkill toward tartness.

We keep working in our household toward lower-salt cooking, small steps at a time.  The easy things are not to buy prepared foods, which almost inevitably have high sodium, and not to add salt during cooking.  This is practical up to a point, but I'm fond of being able once in a while to grab a jar of prepared sauce or cooked beans.  Then there is the issue of bread...which needs some salt in the dough.  As for the salt substitutes: he's perfectly happy with one of the potassium chloride-based fake salts.  I hate 'em.

I'm glad you're still with us and able to get this topic started again.  Thanks for giving the rest of us a wake-up call.