• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

dcarch

dcarch

48 minutes ago, IndyRob said:

I think most would agree that blaming (or equating) other professions for problems in the one in focus, is not going to be persuasive.  -----

I have no intention to persuade anyone. I just want to disagree with the picture the writer is depicting that restaurants are all:

“Restaurants are rife with abuse, mental health issues and addiction” "I really wanted to call attention to the pretty severe mental health crisis that is happening within the industry, and frankly that is ruining and taking lives."

I agree that restaurant work is tough and there are problems, but all the restaurants I know have mostly happy worker ( about work environment, not pay scale) .

she also says some people with existing mental health issues are drawn to restaurant work.

"There is something especially about kitchens that might draw people who might suffer from particular issues, or be driven by particular issues — whether it's depression or anxiety or OCD or bipolar or something — where the condition they're dealing with is actually what drives them in the profession," she said.

What!!!!!! Is she serious???

I also would be grateful if you can point out to me if in anyway my comments are not consistent with OP's statement in her/his original post.

dcarch

dcarch

dcarch

28 minutes ago, IndyRob said:

I think most would agree that blaming (or equating) other professions for problems in the one in focus, is not going to be persuasive.  -----

I have no intention to persuade anyone. I just want to disagree with the picture the writer is depicting that restaurants are all:

“Restaurants are rife with abuse, mental health issues and addiction” "I really wanted to call attention to the pretty severe mental health crisis that is happening within the industry, and frankly that is ruining and taking lives."

I agree that restaurant work is tough and there are problems, but all the restaurants I know have mostly happy worker ( about work environment, not pay scale) .

I also would be grateful if you can point out to me if in anyway my comments are not consistent with OP's statment in her/his original post.

dcarch

dcarch

dcarch

23 minutes ago, IndyRob said:

I also would be grateful if you can point out to me if in anyway my posts are not consistent with OP's  intented her/his original post.

dcarch

dcarch

dcarch

14 minutes ago, IndyRob said:

dcarch

dcarch

dcarch

8 minutes ago, IndyRob said:

dcarch