• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nutmeg

JohnT

So, I have returned to Cape Town from Grenada and managed to smuggle a few packets of "Whole Nutmeg" through our customs inspection. Nice!:)

So, here is my question (normally I buy ground nutmeg from my spice merchant). One packet says "In Shell" and the other says "Without Shell". The in shell one looks exactly the same as the without shell pack, except they are a slightly darker brown nut. What are the two different ones used for? Sorry if this sounds dumb, but it is something I am not used to (whole nutmeg). John.

• Like 2

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

From what I understand...the shell is what is used to grind into the spice Mace. 

The inner nut is the Nutmeg nut.

• Like 3

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Hmm, more description may be needed - or better still, a couple of photos if JohnT has time.  Mace is a lacy red outer covering on the nutmeg.  Maybe it turns brown after it dries?  I don't know.

This picture from the Epicentre.com web site shows nutmeg and its lacy mace covering inside the fruit that surrounds it.  This web site says the fruit is also edible, and about the size of a small peach.  

nutmeg shown on tree in fruit, wrapped in red mace

Photo source: Nutmeg - The Epicentre

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Smithy, your photo is raw on the tree. Below is one I just took of a few of them. The top three are without the shell and the bottom three are in the shell. Obviously, they have been dried. Shaking the shell-on ones, they do rattle, so I am presuming that the shell part is the mace and the inner the actual nutmeg, as Toliver describes. Now I just need to get a really fine grater or rasp and get experimenting. I have about 25 of each to keep me busy for the next year or two :) Imagine the amount of rum cocktails they can enhance!

image.jpeg.488377d4c12804c234b174a815023

• Like 4

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

I'm pretty sure that the shell is considered inedible. The mace has already been removed from those pictured nuts.

Inside the pulpy fruit (pictured on the tree) is the mace-encased shell with the nutmeg kernel inside. I would crack open the hard shell and extract the kernel from inside and use it (grate it). Leaving the shell on will extend the shelf life of the kernel though it will last pretty well even without it. 

Edited to add: I buy whole nutmeg from Penzey's and it is the dull-looking nut, not the shiny shell. 

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 2

Finally found a site that describes this - http://www.fareisle.com/etsy-items/fare-isle-wildcrafted-jamaican-whole-nutmeg-in-mace-shell

Use the outer red mace shell as its own spice! Add whole to your morning oatmeal or tea, or grind into a powder and use in sweet or savory recipes. Crack the underlying shell and the freshest whole nutmeg is ready for use. Use a fine microplane to grate.

• Like 2

When my sister came back from vacation a few years ago (I forget where she was, I think Aruba), she brought some spices for me. Among them was nutmeg, and they were like the shiny ones on the bottom of your photo. I still have them somewhere. I found that I couldn't do anything with them, even the microplane couldn't create a dent in that shell. I thought it was strange, because the shelled nutmegs are not really much larger than the unshelled, but obviously that shell is very strong. I'm wondering if it will destroy my blender, but I don't think I want to find out. If you figure out what to do with them, let us know! Maybe I will start playing around with it again. A hammer might work!

• Like 2

I brought some home from the Caribbean (Grenada) some years ago. I remember removing the hard outer shell, but can't remember how I did it. You don't want to smash the seed inside, but you need a bit of force to crack the shell. Can't remember if I used a nutcracker or a hammer and towel, but probably one of those two. 

• Like 2

Just found this on a forum via Google (community/cookinglight.com):  "Nutmeg will last 20 years in the shell and 3 years out of the shell. NO one has mentioned that you do need to crack the outer hard shell off the nutmeg and grate the inner smaller portion. thanks for tips on the nutmeg grater from WS. i always wanted one of them , but i'll stick to my little tiny grater for now. hope this helps......" 

I see FauxPas just posted about that. And I just went and cracked open my nutmeg with a nutcracker, worked in a second. So now I have to go bake something with nutmeg in it.

• Like 4

I have nutmeg i the shell from Grenada - probably 18 years old. I  just bash the shell on the counter and remove the nut to put in my grinder.

They didn't come with mace attached - purchased that seperately.

I think ground in shell would be a cheaper spice!

• Like 1