• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lacto-fermented Beet Cured Corned Beef Brisket

Suzee

The recipe was improvised using what I had . 4 lb piece of brisket, rubbed with kosher salt, brown sugar, pepper Jimmy P's seasoning, 4 stalks juiced celery, 1 head of garlic (smashed), handful of peppercorns, allspice, mustard seeds, fennel seeds, bay leaves; lacto fermented beet relish (cloves, star anise), lacto fermented sauerkraut (caraway, garlic) - ziplock bag 5 days in the frig. Rinsed and roasted it and turned out unbearably salty. I was so bummed!! My awesome family came to the rescue simmering it to draw out the salt while I sulked - roused me exclaiming this is the best corned beef ever!!!... next time, I plan to simmer before roasting.

cornedbeef.jpg

• Like 1

I like salty corned beef. Especially on some rye bread with some good deli brown mustard. But theres too much fat on that brisket you got there. Dont get me wrong, it looks nice and gelatinous and my wife loves fat but too much for me. Just saying, that would be the only issue i would have has with what you got there.

• Like 1

I'm a sucker for beef fat, and if it's corned beef fat that's even more sinfully delightful. I always figure I can cut off the fat, but I rarely do.  Thanks for the description of your method, Suzee.  The lacto-fermented beet relish is a surprise to me.  Can you identify what flavor note(s) it added?

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

The fermented beets were flavored with star anise and cloves, they added a slightly reddish hue with the naturally occurring nitrate in the fresh juiced celery.