• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Mars

Mars

18 hours ago, mgaretz said:

I am not an expert but it would appear that 21 DE atomized glucose is not glucose "diluted" to 21% by the addition of starch.  Rather the process of turning the starch into glucose is stopped at 21% of the value of pure dextrose.  What is leftover is not cornstarch but rather dextrins (and likely mostly maltodextrin).   

I see! I might try mixing dextrose with maltodextrin then, which I now realise I was doing anyway with Messina recipes and other sources prior to learning and trialing Corvitto's recipes. Also, if maltodextrin is a product 20DE and below anyway it's probably an easy substitution for 21DE. Then I can go with Jo's option for 42DE as a middle-value to tinker with.

Thanks, I'm feeling better now and less disoriented. 

18 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I use:

https://modernistpantry.com/products/glucose-de-42-powder.html

Modernist Pantry ships worldwide.

Thanks for the link! This is a much more reasonable price; assuming shipping to Australian isn't egregious.
Edit: it is qPsrxJ5.png

Mars

Mars

18 hours ago, mgaretz said:

I am not an expert but it would appear that 21 DE atomized glucose is not glucose "diluted" to 21% by the addition of starch.  Rather the process of turning the starch into glucose is stopped at 21% of the value of pure dextrose.  What is leftover is not cornstarch but rather dextrins (and likely mostly maltodextrin).   

I see! I might try mixing dextrose with maltodextrin then, which I now realise I was doing anyway with Messina recipes and other sources prior to learning and trialing Corvitto's recipes. Also, if maltodextrin is a product 20DE and below anyway it's probably an easy substitution for 21DE. Then I can go with Jo's option for 42DE as a middle-value to tinker with.

Thanks, I'm feeling better now and less disoriented. 

18 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I use:

https://modernistpantry.com/products/glucose-de-42-powder.html

Modernist Pantry ships worldwide.

Thanks for the link! This is a much more reasonable price; assuming shipping to Australian isn't egregious.